5 Low Calorie Dessert Recipes
If you are trying to shed a few pounds but simply can’t deny your sweet tooth completely, these 5 low calorie dessert recipes are worth checking out. The key to finding relatively healthy desserts is, of course, in the ingredients. While most desserts are heavy on the refined sugar, saturated fat and white flour, simple substitutions with whole grains, fruits and less fat can save you countless calories. Check out the list of low calorie dessert ideas below to get started on snacking smarter.
- Pineapple sauce smothered angel food cake. It’s common knowledge that angel food cake is one of the lowest calorie desserts out there. Still, people avoid it because of its relative plainness. But, you can add a decently low calorie punch to a store bought angel food cake with homemade pineapple sauce. Just take a tablespoon of crushed pineapple, two tablespoons of orange marmalade, a tablespoon of sugar and a small amount of cornstarch. Combine the ingredients and simmer them in a saucepan while stirring continuously. In a few minutes, you have the perfect angel food cake topping.
- Apple walnut crisp. You can put together this healthy, tasty dessert with three cups whole grain flour, two cups of brown sugar, a few tablespoons of walnuts, two tablespoons of cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg and a few apples. Cut up the apples first, and put them in a pan. Mix the other ingredients, pour them over the apples, and cook for about half an hour at 375 degrees. There is quite a bit of brown sugar in the recipe, so the dessert will fall in the mid-calorie range. But it’s still leagues above a candy bar.
- Fruit Popsicles. Though big food companies have developed a penchant for making fake-fruit flavored popsicles, the real thing is much healthier. Blend some strawberries, peaches and other berries together first. Then, add a tablespoon of lemon juice and a tablespoon of sugar. Put in the sticks, freeze them individually, and you’ll have delicious, low calorie popsicles in just a couple of hours.
- Coconut & Pistachio fruit. This low calorie dessert is among the easiest and healthiest to whip up. All you need is some tropical fruit like mango, pineapple, or papaya, some light coconut milk and a few tablespoons of chopped pistachios. Just slice up the fruit, pour about four teaspoons of coconut milk over them, and add the pistachios as a garnish. The result is a refreshing, guilt free treat.
- Icy Lychees. A lychee is a fruit native to China. It’s both very sweet and packed with Vitamin C. You can find them in cans on the shelves of your local grocery stores. Just drain the fruit and pop them in the freezer for a couple of hours. When they come out, you’ll have a sweet, cooling dessert that comes in at just over 100 calories per serving.