5 Low Fat Holiday Recipes
These 5 low fat holiday recipes will enable you to serve tasty food to your guests, without increasing the size of your or their waists. Moreover, these recipes are quite simple, helping you to fill your tabletop with ease.
Herb Crusted Chicken
- 1, 3-4 lb. whole chicken
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. each thyme, rosemary, oregano, parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pat chicken dry and place on piece of wax paper.
- Crush herbs with back of spoon to make into as small pieces as possible.
- Mix herbs together in bowl.
- Add one-half tablespoon of olive oil at a time to herb mixture. Continue adding and mixing oil until it is in a thick paste.
- Rub paste over chicken until coated, including the bottom of chicken.
- Place chicken in roasting pan and bake for thirty to forty minutes until done, as required by weight.
- Cut and serve, sprinkled with herbs if you have any remaining that are dry.
- 1 lb. baby carrots
- 1 tbsp. low-fat margarine
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- Rinse carrots and pat dry.
- Place butter and cinnamon in skillet and heat over low heat.
- When butter is completely melted and mixed with the cinnamon, add carrots.
- Increase heat to medium. Cover skillet and let cook for ten to twelve minutes. Stirring every five minutes.
- Turn off stove. Leave carrots covered on burner for three minutes
- Remove skillet cover, toss carrots. Serve.
Panko Crusted Asparagus
- 1 lb. medium-stalk asparagus
- 3-4 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs
- Spray or oil a small baking sheet. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut white ends from asparagus, rinse and pat dry.
- Place Dijon mustard on plate and spread evenly over plate surface.
- Place breadcrumbs on plate and spread evenly.
- Roll asparagus in mustard and then breadcrumbs before placing on baking sheet.
- Complete process with remainder of asparagus, lining each piece near but not on touching the others.
- Bake for ten to twelve minutes. Remove from oven.
- Serve warm.
Jasmine Rice with Parsley
- 2 cups of jasmine rice
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tbsp. each of fresh parsley and red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. low-fat unsalted butter
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Chop parsley into small pieces.
- Grind or separate red pepper flakes into a powder.
- Add butter, parsley and red pepper to rice. Mix thoroughly.
- Serve warm.
Angel food cake with Strawberries
- 1 package of angel food cake mix
- 2 lb. of strawberries
- 4 tsp. of artificial sweetener
- Prepare angel food cake mix as directed. Let cool completely, preferably overnight.
- Cut strawberries into even sized slices. Place in mixing bowl.
- Cover strawberries with sugar and mix. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove strawberries from refrigerator prior to serving. Drain strawberries, collecting juice in another bowl.
- Slice the cake and top with two to three spoonfuls of collected strawberry juice.
- Top cake with one or two teaspoons of strawberries. Serve.