These 5 Mexican side dishes for Cinco de Mayo will spice up your table. They are excellent choices, easy to make and guaranteed to fulfill your friends’ expectations at your Cinco de Mayo celebration.
Nachos are tasty and super easy to make, a must-have side dish for Cinco de Mayo.
- 4 cups tortilla chips
- 1-1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- I can (4 oz.) jalapeno peppers, ringed and drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sliced, pitted black olives
- Place the tortilla chips on a large baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the tortilla chips with both grated cheeses.
- Broil five inches from the heat until the cheese is melted.
- Transfer the chips to a serving tray.
- Top the nachos with rings of jalapeno peppers, sour cream, chopped cilantro and sliced black olives.
- Serve immediately.
Cinco de Mayo is not the same without guacamole and chips as a side dish.
- 4 ripe avocados
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Tortilla chips
- Mash the avocados with a fork in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mixing well.
- Arrange the tortilla chips around the guacamole bowl.
Cinco de Mayo Spicy Corn Side Dish
Another delicious side dish for Cinco de Mayo. Bell peppers, corn and fresh cilantro create a unique flavor.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1-1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of one lime
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan and add the red pepper and the chili powder. Cook for two minutes.
- Add the corn and cook until lightly gold.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cactus Salad Side Dish
This cactus salad would add an exotic flavor as a side dish for Cinco de Mayo.
- 1 (30 oz.) jar of cactus or nopales (You can find nopales in the Mexican food section of your local supermarket. They come already cut into small squares.)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 tsp. dry oregano
- Olive oil
- Drain the cactus completely and set aside.
- Saute the onion with the olive oil over medium heat until the onion becomes transparent.
- Add the drained cactus and cook for five minutes.
- Pour in vinegar, add the oregano and season with salt.
- Cook for three more minutes.
- Transfer the cactus into a serving platter and sprinkle with the freshly chopped cilantro.
Chocolate Quesadillas Side Dish
As weird as it may sound, chocolate quesadillas would be a hit for your Cinco de Mayo celebration.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped
- 10 flour tortillas
- 15 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Heat the flour tortillas lightly in a large, non-stick skillet.
- Put a teaspoon of semisweet chocolate on each tortilla. Sprinkle them with the chopped pecans and cherries.
- Fold over the tortillas and heat each side over medium heat until the chocolate is melted.
- Top them with the sour cream and serve immediately.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
You’re Not a Man Unless You Can Cook These 5 Meals
You're not off the hook: This list includes dessert.