It would be nearly impossible for any viewer to resist the unbridled carnal appeal of 5 of the most erotic films ever made. Sexy and scandalous, these movies are so hot you might just need a cigarette afterwards.
- "The Dreamers." Legendary director Bernardo Bertolucci has never been shy about exploring sexuality in his films and this 2003 effort is no exception. Set against the backdrop of the 1968 Paris riots, “The Dreamers” centers on Matthew, an American art student who befriends an unusual pair of siblings while traveling abroad. Their incestuous behavior is initially alarming but soon Matthew goes from voyeur to participant as the trio engage in numerous erotic escapades. The film is beautifully photographed and the lead actors are as lush as the scenery. Controversial and uninhibited, “The Dreamers” is one of the most erotic films ever made.
- "9 ½ Weeks." Adrian Lyne's 1986 drama starring Mickey Rourke and Kim Basinger as a couple pushing their sexual boundaries was not a critical or box office hit in the United States. It found greater success overseas and on video and is now one of the most well-known erotic films of all time. Sexy, unabated, and sometimes violent, “9 ½ Weeks” is as surprising as it is salacious. What elevates it beyond its throng of imitators are the performances by the two leads. Rourke and Basinger are pitch-perfect and turn characters that could easily have been archetypes into believable and relatable people.
- "Body Heat." Although it knowingly borrows the bulk of its plot from 1944's “Double Indemnity,” Lawrence Kasdan's 1981 film distinguishes itself by cranking the eroticism up to eleven. Kathleen Turner sizzles in a career-making performance as a sexpot who coaxes the man she's having an affair with into murdering her wealthy husband. This neo-noir is overflowing with steamy encounters and memorable moments. The heat wave plaguing the characters in the film is downright frigid compared to the sexual intensity generated by Turner and co-star William Hurt.
- "Basic Instinct." Sharon Stone became an overnight sensation with the release of this 1992 thriller, thanks in part to a particularly revealing interrogation room scene. Director Paul Verhoeven loves his sex and violence in excess and the film is loaded with both. Filled with twists and turns, “Basic Instinct” follows a detective who might be getting a little too close to a murder suspect. While it occasionally veers off track and the ending is a bit far-fetched, the movie is an unforgettable erotic masterpiece that is still titillating viewers nearly two decades later.
- "Unfaithful." Detailing the complex and emotional downward spiral that comes with having an affair, Adrian Lyne's 2002 film is dense, provocative and often bittersweet. Diane Lane delivers a consummate performance as Constance, a happily married woman who inexplicably begins a relationship with a seductive stranger. The sex scenes are steamy, the drama is explosive, and “Unfaithful” claims its place in history as one of the most erotic films ever made.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Meet Madeline Brewer, Netflix Princess
The Orange is the New Black and Hemlock Grove beauty discusses fitness and dating.
The 5 Types of Beer You Should Know
Get familiar with these basics, and you'll be ready to rule the craft-beer universe.