When you think of the 5 most expensive red wines in the world, you typically get visions of exotic French restaurants. To many's surprise, these prize items are produced around the world and are available to more than the idle rich. Many of these wines are purchased with no intent to enjoy the contents, but to be used as collector's items in private cellars.
- 1945 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild Jeroboam by Baron Philippe de Rothschild. Jeroboam produced only five bottles of this wine total. A single bottle of the delightfully refreshing red wine went for more than $114,000 at an auction at Christie's in 1997, making it one of the most expensive red wines.
- 1992 Screaming Eagle. Produced in Napa Valley by vineyard owners Tony Bowden and Jean Phillips, Screaming Eagle is considered one of the most expensive red wines. Its unique taste is due to a filtering process. A single bottle of the wine sold for more than $80,000 in the late 1990s.
- “Th.J” 1787 Chateau Lafitte. One of the most expensive red wines to date is rumored to have belonged to former president Thomas Jefferson. Supposedly held in his private cellar until after his death, the bottle sold for more than $160,000 in the 1980s.
- 1907 Heidsieck. This is possibly the most expensive red wine ever sold. The red champagne was found amongst a shipwreck off the coast of Finland. The bottle was originally intended for the Russian royal family. It sold for auction for $227,000.
- 2001 Shafer Hillside Select Stags Leap District Cabernet Sauvignon. One of the most expensive red wines available for purchase outside of auction, this wine is amongst the most popular selections of California produced red wines. The flavorful mixture of berries runs approximately $175.00
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.