Curious about 5 natural remedies for chapped lips? Harsh weather conditions can send one looking for natural remedies for chapped lips. Lips can become chapped by biting or sucking on the lips or due to allergies. Chapped lips can be unpleasant and even painful if they become flaky, swollen and cracked. Untreated chapped lips could lead to infections.
- Before using any chapped lip treatments, exfoliate the lips with a soft abrasive to remove the dead and flaking skin. To naturally exfoliate, use a mix of honey and sugar. This is gentle and works well to wipe away dead skin cells, leaving new skin to promote healing.
- Coconut oil is one of the most cost-effective and readily available natural remedies for chapped lips. Coconut oil can be found at nearly every grocery, discount or drug store and can be applied liberally many times a day.
- Aloe vera is another great natural remedy for chapped lips caused by weather, allergies or other factors. Packed full of vitamins, minerals and amino acids, aloe vera is an effective natural chapped lip remedy when applied a few times a day.
- The sweet flavor and the antioxidant properties of honey make it a number one choice for chapped lip remedies. The antibacterial and antifungal properties will help the healing process as well as protect against future chapping. Honey can be mixed with natural butters, such as cocoa and shea, to provide a barrier against the elements.
- Zinc oxide can provide a protective barrier on the lips. This will prevent further chapping while providing soothing properties to the lips.
The remedies above will also help prevent future chapped lips. These ingredients are readily available at grocery, drug or discount stores.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …