5 Natural Ways To Increase Fertility
If you and your spouse are interested in conceiving a child, here are 5 natural ways to increase your fertility. It is generally acknowledged that natural methods of conception are best, because there are fewer chances of complications or side effects which might result from fertility drugs. There are simple and effective changes you can make to your lifestyle that are likely to result in naturally higher male fertility.
- Stop smoking and eliminate any exposure you might have to second hand smoke. Studies have shown smokers to be 17% less fertile than nonsmokers. Smoking also reduces the overall quality of your sperm. Even when fertility meds are being used, they don't work as well for smokers. Smokers require much higher doses of fertility medications in order for them to be effective.
- Follow a healthy eating and exercise plan in order to obtain a healthy weight. A healthy weight is one which is ideal for your height and weight. It does not mean being too thin or too fat. The reason behind this is that your body needs to be at a healthy weight in order to produce the hormones that regulate sperm production. Cardiovascular exercise will help you burn calories and improve blood flow while strength training will improve your endurance. Diet and exercise are very natural ways of improving your fertility.
- Reduce your stress in order to naturally improve your fertility. There have been a number of studies which have shown that stress has a negative impact upon fertility. Stress may inhibit the hormones necessary for healthy sperm production. It is recommended that you reduce or eliminate stress from your life. Stress management techniques can be a valuable tool. Try yoga, take up a sport, go on vacation, or spend less time with your mother-in-law!
- Do not expose your testicles to sources of heat such as hot tubs or saunas. Testicles are located outside of the trunk of the body in the scrotum for a reason. It is because sperm are very sensitive to heat. The decrease in your sperm count is temporary when your testicles are exposed to hot places. However, it will affect your short-term fertility and lower the chances that you and your partner will conceive.
- Do not consume copious quantities of alcohol or do illegal drugs while trying to father a child. Heavy alcohol consumption has a negative impact upon the hormones that regulate sperm production. The same is true of many different illegal drugs, including steroids (which shrinks your testicles), marijuana and cocaine. These substances can also cause liver damage which can result in infertility.