Summer is fast approaching and beach and ocean-themed parties will have you looking for these 5 ocean party snacks. Ocean party snacks should be portable and convenient; no need to lug around place settings at the beach! Whether you are hosting an event on a beach, in a boat on the ocean, or simply at your house with an ocean theme, ocean party snacks are fun and practical additions to your party menu.
Things You'll Need
- Plastic storage bags
- Cooler or other container
- Bendable skewers
- Pita pockets
- Assorted chopped vegetables (red peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes)
- Assorted fruit cut into chunks (watermelon, apples, pineapple, cantaloupe)
- Assorted dry foods (pretzels, popcorn, nuts, dried berries, cereal)
- Assorted seasoning (garlic powder, seasoned salt, curry powder)
- Shrimp and cocktail sauce
- For parties on the beach, prepare foods that can be eaten by hand without being messy. Construct several finger sandwiches cut into individual servings. Cut a pita bread circle in half. Spread hummus on the inside of each pocket. Stuff the pocket with assorted chopped vegetables like sweet red peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onion; kalamata olives and feta cheese will add extra flavor. Cut the pockets into small triangles. Stack the triangles onto a tray and wrap with plastic wrap, or seal several triangles in a plastic strorage bag. Avoid storing the pitas directly on ice to prevent them from getting soggy.
- Cut several fruits into inch-sized cubes. Thread the fruit onto bendable skewers. For a party on a boat or at the beach, sprinkle the fruit with lemon juice to prevent them from browning. For an ocean party snacks at a house, grill the skewers for about a minute on each side. Serve grilled fruit with sweet yogurt for a summery treat. To really drive home the ocean party idea, select a blue yogurt like blueberry or vanilla dyed with blue food coloring.
- Mix 1 cup each of dry cereal, pretzel bits, plain popcorn, peanuts, dried cranberries, and raisins in a large bowl. Toss the mixture with a seasoning like garlic salt or curry powder. For easy travel of this ocean party snack, place servings in individual plastic bags. For land-dwelling ocean theme parties, serve the entire batch from a shell-shaped bowl.
- Serve chilled seafood at an ice bar at a party serving ocean snacks. A basic shrimp cocktail becomes a festive party food when served on an ice tray. Line a blue plastic tray with crushed ice. Line cooked shrimp along the ice. Place several small serving bowls with cocktail sauce along the side of the ice tray.