5 Ping Pong Tricks
The 5 ping pong tricks that are the best to do are all about showing your skills! Whether you are trying to play with someone else or testing your skill level, these tricks will help your game improve and help you have more fun. Just remember, stay calm and keep smiling!
- Backspin. An excellent ping pong trick would be to put a backspin on the ball. This occurs when the top of the ball's rotation is going in the opposite direction that the ball is moving while the bottom of the ball is moving in the same direction as the ball. This trick is good to use because it creates a lifting force on the ping pong ball which causes it to drop slower (as opposed to gravity) and will make your opponent miss in his swing. This can be achieved by "cutting" the ping pong paddle at a slant.
- Topspin. In ping pong, the trick known as the Topspin is when the top of the ping pong ball is spinning in the same way that the ball is moving while the bottom of the ball is moving in the opposite direction as the movement of the ball. This, in fact, causes the ball to drop much faster than it would by just gravity alone. Slanting the paddle will help with this trick.
- Backhand. By hitting a ping pong with a backhand properly, you can begin to understand the tricks of backhanded shots such as, backhand counterhit, the backhand chop, and the backhanded backspin strokes. Your hands should be held at a ninety degree elbow and you need to push with your hips. Using the "follow through" method, take the kinetic motion of your hips and have that follow through to your arm as it hits the ping pong ball.
- Sidespin. Putting a sidespin on a ping pong ball will help with not letting your opponent counterattack with a strong return. You can do a sidespin by either using your backhand or during a serve. A sidespin will help the ping pong ball move at a different rotation and can angle at varying degrees during the motion of the ball.
- Combinations! Most of these ping pong tricks can be done in any combination. A very popular combination is the backhand sidespin. It has a lot of power and cuts across the table with strength. There is also the backhand topspin. This combines the strength of the backhand with the quick drop of the topspin trick. Your opponents won't even know what hit them! Depending on the type of ball that gets sent your way, you will want to test these different tricks to know what's best for your counterattack.