These 5 places to eat near Daingerfield State Park are rather unusual and fun. This state park is southwest of Texarkana in Texas and covers over 500 acres including a large tranquil lake. That lake allows swimming, boating with available canoe and pedal boat rentals as well as a launching ramp, and fishing from a pier that has a facility for cleaning the fish. The park is a beautiful place for camping, picnicking at special sites, hiking on 2 1/2 miles of trails, and a study of the spectacular nature that is especially beautiful in the fall when the leaves change color. There is also a playground for the children. A group lodge has a capacity to hold twenty people, and there are cabins with air-conditioning and heat. When you look for a restaurant in the vicinity, here are a few choices.
- Pittsburg Hot Links at 136 W. Marshall St. in Pittsburg just three miles away from the park is an experience! Charlie Hasselbeck brought the special recipe to town in 1897. When he opened an addition to his building in 1918, he began selling the links on heavy market paper with crackers and his special hot sauce. Cold drinks in assorted flavors were also sold in order to combat the hot sauce. Crews on the two railroad lines, traveling salesmen, and truckers would purposely stop there to partake of this specialty. Later the hot links were processed to sell in grocery stores and eventually went nationwide.
- Also in Pittsburg is Vaughan's Catfish on the Lake (Route 5 Box 337e). They have an all-you-can-eat catfish meal and are also the only catfish place in that area of Texas that still offers catfish steaks. Even the view from this restaurant is terrific.
- Go to Los Pinos Ranch Vineyards, also in Pittsburg (658 County Road 1334). Here you can listen to live jazz on Friday and Saturday evenings while you sip wine and eat their always available "wine-friendly" tapas. Or try their Wine-A-Ritas, House Made Sangria, or Costa Rican coffee along with Chef's Specials on the weekends. Top it all off with a delectable dessert such as their moist carrot cake.
- Don Juan's Mexican Restaurant is only 12 miles away (220 E. 1st, #A, Hughes Springs, TX). They have a large menu selection including specials such as their Taco Lunch with crispy or soft tacos plus ground beef or chicken and other ingredients or cheese enchiladas covered with chili, beef fajitas, and pico de gallo. For dessert enjoy their Fried Cheesecake or Fried Ice Cream.
- Auntie Skinner's Riverboat Club is further away (107 W. Austin St., Jefferson, TX) but worth the extra trip if you want to hang out at night as well as have good food such as their perfectly-prepared fried catfish. There is karaoke on the weekends and pool tables in the back for entertainment.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
Why Your Wife May Be Unhappy in Your Marriage and How it Can...
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.