Here are 5 pond fishing tips to help you catch more fish on your next trip. Ponds are an often overlooked place to fish, but under proper conditions ponds can produce both a lot of fish and very large fish. From rural farm ponds to suburban golf course ponds, pond are available to many anglers, and the following 5 pond fishing tips can be used in them all.
- Focus on structures when fishing in ponds. Like any body of water, fish will be drawn to structures. Smaller fish use structures to evade predators and the predator fish prowl around structures looking for an opportunity to grab a meal. Focus your pond fishing efforts on structures to maximize the number of fish that you will catch.
- Weather has a greater impact on ponds than larger bodies of water. Dawn and dusk are generally the most productive times to be fishing, but this is even truer on smaller ponds without significant shade as the water in the pond will warm faster. A light rain may improve fishing, but more rain than a drizzle may cloud the water to the point that fishing is a waste of time.
- Frogs are an ideal bait or lure pattern for ponds. Ponds are a natural habitat for frogs, meaning that they are often a common food for large predatory fish, such as largemouth bass. One of the most important pond fishing tips is to carry frog pattern lures. Presenting either live frogs or frog lures close to weeds or muddy banks should produce good results in ponds.
- Watch your profile while fishing in ponds. Fishing in small bodies of water such as ponds means that you need to be careful with your profile, shadow and movements. Fish in small bodies of water are more likely to sit tight and not bite if they see significant movement above the water.
- Avoid disturbing the water while fishing in ponds. It can be difficult to avoid disturbing the water in ponds, but this is one of the most important pond fishing tips. Whether it is a foot slipping into the water or a large bass being reeled in, waves in a pond can quickly disturb the fish. In case of a lot of disturbance in the water, it may be best to simply sit down and wait for the fish to calm.
These 5 pond fishing tips will help you catch more fish and enjoy your time spent fishing in ponds.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)