Spice up your dinners with these five pork slow cooker recipes! Slow cooking is a time-saving way to cook pork, since all you need to do is add the pork to the slow cooker and wait a few hours for a delicious meal. Make sure to test the pork for doneness to avoid foodborn illnesses: it should be no longer pink on the inside, with an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees.
- Pork chops and sauerkraut. Pork with sauerkraut is a traditional German dish–and very easy to do in your slow cooker! Add four thick-cut pork chops, one jar of sauerkraut, one pound of scrubbed baby potatoes, 1/2 cup brown sugar, four rashers of uncooked bacon and a pinch of caraway seeds to your slow cooker. Cook on low for six to eight hours.
- Winter pork stew. This hearty combination of slow-cooked pork and root vegetables will keep you warm in the winter. Combine 1 1/2 pounds cubed pork boneless loin, 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots, 1/2 cup roughly-chopped onion, 2 cups diced parsnips, 1 1/2 cups diced butternut squash and one quart chicken broth in a slow cooker. Cook for six to seven hours on low or three to four hours on high, then gradually stir in three tablespoons flour combined with three tablespoons softened butter to thicken the stew, as well as salt and pepper to taste.
- Green chili pork tacos. Add some variety to taco night with a spicy, slow-cooked pork filling. Combine a five-pound pork loin, a 16-ounce jar of salsa verde and three tablespoons lime juice in a slow cooker, then cook on low for seven to eight hours. Combine one chopped onion with one cup chopped cilantro. Shred pork and return to slow cooker with half of the onion and cilantro mix. Serve the slow cooked pork on corn tortillas with the rest of the onion and cilantro mixture and chopped tomatoes.
- Cola barbecue pulled pork. Pulled pork is a great Southern tradition, and although it's best when you make it from scratch, you can take a few shortcuts by using a can of cola. Place two pounds of boneless pork ribs in your slow cooker, then add 12 ounces of cola (one and a half eight-ounce cans). Cook on low for six to eight hours, then drain liquid and shred pork. Mix with barbecue sauce and serve on soft rolls.
- Southwest pork chops. Liven up plain old pork chops with Tex-Mex flavors. Add six thick-cut pork chops to a slow cooker, along with one 15-ounce can chili beans and 1 1/2 cups salsa. Cook on low for five hours, then stir in one cup frozen corn and heat through. Serve over hot white rice.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Shoes Tell Her About You
How footwear can kick-start your dating game—or kick dirt on your grave.