Come Thanksgiving you'll no doubt be looking for novel appetizer ideas, and what could be better than 5 potato appetizers for Thanksgiving? Potatoes are a perfect food for their versatility and universal appeal. There are many different kinds of potatoes–from Russets to white to red. They come in a delightful variety of shapes and colors, and there are just as many ways of preparing them.
1. Potato Skins
- 5 large Russet potatoes
- 4 cups Gouda cheese, shredded
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 pound spicy sausage
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Once oven is to temperature, bake for 60 minutes. Remove potatoes from oven and lower temperature to 350º F.
- Meanwhile, in heavy skillet, brown sausage,crumbling it until thoroughly cooked. Drain
- Cut baked potatoes in half and scoop out the skins, discarding the potato center. Cut each skin into four strips and arrange on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Fill each potato strip with Gouda cheese, sausage and green onions. Bake for 30 minutes.
2. Potato Croquettes
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, shredded
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 5 strips of cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1 quart vegetable oil for deep frying
- Place quartered potatoes into a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Boil for twenty minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain potatoes and move to a large bowl, and then mash with a potato masher.
- Add eggs, parsley, cheese, salt, pepper, bacon and onion flakes. Shape into 3-inch patties. Roll in bread crumbs to coat.
- Pour oil into heavy skillet to 1/8 inch depth, and heat over medium-high heat. Cook patties, flipping, until both sides are golden brown.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed potatoes, eggs, parsley, cheese, salt and pepper, bacon bits and onion flakes. Form mixture into patties, and dredge patties in the bread crumbs.
3. Potato Latkes
- 2 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1 tablespoon red onion, finely minced
- 2 large eggs, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup peanut oil for frying
- Use a cheese cloth to remove as much excess moisture from shredded potatoes as possible. Then combine potatoes, onion, eggs, flour, salt and pepper, stirring thoroughly.
- Pour oil into heavy skillet, and heat over medium-high heat. Deposit a large scoop of potatoes into the frying oil and press into a patty as it cooks. Flip patty and cook until both sides are golden brown. Serve hot.
4. Grilled Potato Skins
- 2 large Russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 pint sour cream
- Slice each potato in half and then into quarters. Trim white part of potato and discard, leaving approximately a ¼-inch of flesh attached to the potato skins.
- Transfer to a microwave safe dish and cook on high for eight to ten minutes. Combine melted butter, spices and cheese, and brush both sides of potato skins.
- Grill potatoes, skin side up for approximately two to three minutes. Turn potatoes and grill another two minutes. Top with onions and bacon and serve with sour cream.
5. Nachos Grande Potatoes
- 8 medium red potatoes
- 1 1-ounce packet powder ranch dressing
- 1 cup fresh or canned jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups sour cream
- 6 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease a baking pan.
- In a saucepan, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and cook on medium for fifteen to twenty minutes. Drain and allow to cool.
- Slice potatoes into 1/4-inch slices. Combine peppers, dry salad dressing mix, and both cheeses.
- Transfer to baking pan and top each potato with cheese mixture. Bake for ten to twelve minutes.
- Top with sour cream and green onions; serve hot.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …