Five quotes for friends when someone needs to apologize may not make things all better, but adding a quote to a note or a card is one way to move closer to reconciliation. An apology need not mean that you're admitting total blame for the situation. You may be apologizing for the fact that you disagreed with someone and maybe didn't handle the situation in the best possible way. An apology may also mean you're simply sad that a disagreement happened. You still believe in your position and the other person is free to maintain their opinion. A quote is an easy way to say something when you don't know what words are best suited for the apology.
- "The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology." Red Auerbach, coach of the Boston Celtics during an eleven title run and later president of the franchise, has a spin on putting actions on the line. This quote for friends when someone needs to apologize is best when the friend is a sports fan or knows the accomplishments of Red Auerbach. The recipient may even think that you're admitting you're at fault in citing this quotation. This statement also opens channels to talk about the incident. It's obvious that you didn't get the point and that created need for an explanation. This quote is best when you need a break in the conflict and a time to sit down to say that maybe both parties own the situation.
- "The most important trip you may take in life is meeting people halfway." Henry Boye made this statement and it is perfect for times when you think you might not even get a hearing to say you're sorry. When friends come to a point when the disagreement is extreme and you'd like to apologize to save the friendship, a quote like this helps remind a friend that nobody is perfect. Meeting at the halfway point to talk at least opens the dialogue.
- "We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak." Epictetus posed this idea and the thought offers an opening for a friend to suggest that they need a hearing to allow an apology to be made. You need a time when the person just listens to your apology. This quote makes it clear that you need some ear time. A short note explaining that you are the one who'd like to explain and apologize would go a long way in remedying a tight situation.
- "Never ruin an apology with an excuse." Kimberly Johnson offers this quote for times when you think an apology needs to be made and perhaps not only by you. One person may be angry, but it takes two folks to make an argument. An apology is simply a statement that you are sorry that the situation happened. An excuse for the bad behavior on the part of either party is inappropriate and only starts the dispute anew. This quote can also be used when you think you are totally to blame and don't even want to try to excuse your bad behavior.
- "Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future." Paul Boese gives this sage advise in a quote that is good for a card or note asking for forgiveness or time to meet to make an apology in person. This quote is also suited when the friend is a member of the opposite sex or someone who you feel you might have some romantic interest in for the future. The quote opens the door for an apology session that allows the building of a platform towards understanding the other person's opinions and feelings.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.