5 Recipes For Side Dishes For Christmas
Learn about 5 recipes for side dishes for Christmas to add variety to your Christmas meal. The holiday season is a good time to try new recipes and to serve some old standby side dishes so everyone will have some familiar side dishes and they'll get to try some new favorites. Send your guests home talking about all the delicious food you served at Christmas, not just the turkey or ham.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds russet potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup milk or heavy cream
- 1 stick butter
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Wash and peel the potatoes and cut into one-inch cubes.
- Peel the garlic and cut each clove in half. Boil the potatoes and garlic in a saucepan of water for twenty minutes or until tender.
- Drain the water and turn off the heat.
- Mash the potatoes and garlic with a potato masher.
- Add the butter, milk or cream, and salt and pepper. Continue mashing until creamy. Serve this side dish next to the gravy boat.
- 1 head broccoli
- 1/2 stick of butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the broccoli and trim the end of the stems.
- Cut the broccoli lengthwise so the flowers and stems are separated into about one and one half inch segments.
- Steam the broccoli in a steam basket in a saucepan with water for ten minutes or until tender.
- Put the broccoli in a serving bowl and add the butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6 apples
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Wash the apples. Slice the tops and bottoms off the apples and remove the cores.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the brown sugar, raisins, and cinnamon. Cook for two or three minutes, stirring constantly.
- Place the apples in a baking pan. Pour the butter mixture over the apples and bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees covered in foil. After 30 minutes, remove the foil and bake another 30 minutes. Spoon the juices up onto the apples every ten minutes. This Christmas side dish looks festive on the dining table.
Honey Corn Casserole
- 2 cans corn
- cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- Grease a casserole baking dish with oil.
- Drain the water from the corn. Pour the corn into a bowl. Stir the egg, oil and honey with the corn.
- Sprinkle the cornbread mix over the corn mixture. Lightly stir the corn and cornbread mix together.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish to complete this side dish. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 can black olives
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- Dressing of choice
- Wash the lettuce and spinach and pat dry with paper towels. Tear the lettuce into bite sized pieces. Add the lettuce and spinach to a large bowl.
- Wash the tomatoes and pepper. Chop into small cubes and add to the greens. Drain the olives and add to the bowl.
- Serve dressing on the side in a small bowl with a serving spoon. The red bell pepper add holiday color to this side dish.