By keeping some basic guidelines in mind, you can learn about the 5 risks of a vasectomy reversal. While these risks are not necessarily life threatening, they can be very painful, and may take a long time to heal. Consult with your doctor if you believe you are experiencing any of these conditions post procedure.
- Post-procedure bleeding. As with any type of surgery, there is a risk of bleeding after a vasectomy reversal. Since the skin of the scrotum is especially thin, bleeding in this area may appear more serious than what it actually is.
- Low sperm count. The purpose of a reverse vasectomy is, in most cases, to be able to conceive a child. Thus, a low sperm count is one of the most serious risks associated with a reverse vasectomy. Research has found that 10 percent of patients who have had a reverse vasectomy experience a low sperm count two to five years after surgery.
- Procedure failure. This one is similar to the risk factor above. However, which men with a low sperm count may still be able to conceive a child, those whose procedure fails face no possibility of fathering a child.
- Hematoma. A hematoma occurs when there is bleeding inside the scrotum, resulting in swelling. This swelling leads to severe pain, and may require emergency surgery to repair.
- Infection. Finally, as with other forms of invasive surgery, a reverse vasectomy can cause infection. Like the other risk factors described above, tihis can be very serious, and can lead to the development of other, more serious conditions.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Lando’s Penalty Kick Ritual: A Tribute
He plays his last match for the USA tonight. This video is a testament to his impact.