By keeping some basic guidelines in mind, you can learn about the 5 risks of a vasectomy reversal. While these risks are not necessarily life threatening, they can be very painful, and may take a long time to heal. Consult with your doctor if you believe you are experiencing any of these conditions post procedure.
- Post-procedure bleeding. As with any type of surgery, there is a risk of bleeding after a vasectomy reversal. Since the skin of the scrotum is especially thin, bleeding in this area may appear more serious than what it actually is.
- Low sperm count. The purpose of a reverse vasectomy is, in most cases, to be able to conceive a child. Thus, a low sperm count is one of the most serious risks associated with a reverse vasectomy. Research has found that 10 percent of patients who have had a reverse vasectomy experience a low sperm count two to five years after surgery.
- Procedure failure. This one is similar to the risk factor above. However, which men with a low sperm count may still be able to conceive a child, those whose procedure fails face no possibility of fathering a child.
- Hematoma. A hematoma occurs when there is bleeding inside the scrotum, resulting in swelling. This swelling leads to severe pain, and may require emergency surgery to repair.
- Infection. Finally, as with other forms of invasive surgery, a reverse vasectomy can cause infection. Like the other risk factors described above, tihis can be very serious, and can lead to the development of other, more serious conditions.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …