The top 5 sad songs from Bollywood are known by music aficionados to move the emotions. Bollywood songs are known for evoking the entire spectrum of feelings, and here I take a look at five great examples of sad songs from Bollywood.
- "Jaane Kahaan Gaye Who Din" :This song, from Raj Kapoor’s film “Mera Naam Joker,” was sung by Mukesh, and evokes nostalgia for the days of the past. The singer reminisces about the days gone by and pines for his lost love. The title of the song translates as, “Where did those days go.”
- "Dost Dost Naa Raha" "Dost Dost Naa Raha" is another song from a Raj Kapoor film, “Sangam,” that was sung by Mukesh. The opening stanza of the song translates as “My friend is no longer my friend; my love is no longer my love. O life, I no longer trust you.” This is a great example of a nostalgic sad song. Its timeless nature is borne by the fact that people still sing it more than 40 years after it was released.
- "O Panchi Pyare " "O Panchi Pyare" is a sad Bollywoodsong about lost freedom. Sung by the great Asha Bhonsle in the film “Bandini,” it depicts a prisoner singing a paean to a bird imprisoned in a cage. This simple and touching song conveys a longing for freedom and despair that it will never be attained.
- "Tujhse Naraaz Nahin Zindagi" This classic sad song was sung by Anup Ghoshal for the film “Masoom.” Sung from a mentally challenged person’s point of view, it expresses bewilderment with the complications of life. This is considered to be one of the greatest sad songs to come from Bollywood.
- "Jab Dil Hi Toot Gaya" No compilation of sad songs from Bollywood is complete without this, the greatest sad song of them all. Sung by Bollywood’s first superstar, K.L. Saigal in 1946, for the film "Shah Jahan," it speaks of the heartbreak and profound sadness that the Indian emperor Shah Jahan experienced upon the death of his queen.
Sad songs from Bollywood are an integral part of its song lore. Like the blues in American music, they evoke nostalgia, angst, and provide a dolorous backdrop to the darker aspects of life. No matter what your disposition, you are sure to enjoy the feelings they evoke and the words of wisdom they provide.