5 Side Dish Ideas For Christmas
The five side dish ideas for Christmas are easy to prepare and very tasty. The side dishes for Christmas are sure to please your friends and family when they sit down to your traditional Christmas dinner.
Cheesy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash potatoes. Stab potatoes with a fork. Put potatoes and garlic in the microwave for ten minutes or until done.
- Beat potatoes and garlic with hand-held mixer until creamy.
- Add cheese, butter and parsley. Beat until smooth.
- Gradually add milk until fluffy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Holiday Green Beans
- 1 pounds fresh green beans
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Cook beans until tender.
- Lightly brown almonds and onion in butter. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour over beans.
- 1 can peas, drained
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan over medium heat add butter and onion. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add mushrooms.
- Turn stove to low and add the flour. Coat the peas and mushrooms.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of milk at a time until thick.
- Add the peas and cook until hot.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Ingredients for salad:
- 4 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2/3 cup broken pecans, toasted
Ingredients for dressing:
- 2/3 cup whole cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dairy sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put pecans on a non-stick cookie sheet. Cook at 400° for five minutes. Turn the nuts over. Cook five minutes, or until the pecans start turning darker. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Combine chopped apples, pineapple, grapes, celery and pecans in a bowl.
- Set aside.
- Combine ingredients for dressing in a small bowl. Drizzle dressing over fruit mixture and serve.
Fancy Sweet Potatoes
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Wash sweet potatoes, prick with fork and place on baking sheet. Bake one hour or until sweet potatoes are soft. Set aside to cool.
- Cut cooled sweet potatoes into one or two inch cubes. Place in 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Dot with butter.
- Add brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly. Cover. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.