5 Side Dishes Recipes For Memorial Day
Memorial Day is right around the corner and these five side dish recipes for Memorial Day can make your meal complete.
To make these five Memorial Day recipes, you will need:
- Pen and paper (or printer)
- Ingredients for individual recipes
Cucumber Yogurt Salad. Prep time 10 mins. Serves 4. This is a cool, creamy side dish that goes great with Memorial Day barbecue.
- 3 cucumbers peeled and sliced across (into circles not long ways)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp dried dill (fresh dill can be substituted for added zing)
- dash salt
- dash pepper
Taste the cucumber first.
- If you find it is bitter, you can soak it in salted water for 30 minutes. This should remove the bitter flavor.
- Combine ingredients in serving bowl. Gently mix ingredients together.
Garnish with a sprig of fresh dill (or parsley).
Grilled Corn on the Cob. Prep time is 15 to 20 mins. Serves 4. This is a summer stand-by that still can't be topped.
- 4 full ears of corn in the husks (Silver Queen White Corn is a great choice. It is sweet and very juicy).
- Barbecue grill (red coals approximately 550 degrees)
- butter or margarine for serving
- Place corn still in the husks on the grill on rack closest to heat.
Turn every five minutes until all sides have been charred completely.
- Keep grill cover closed when cooking. Remove from heat and let stand approximately five minutes.
Serve with butter.
Snow Peas with Pine Nuts and Mint. Prep time 10 minutes. Serves 4. This dish is delightfully refreshing. It is a great way to usher in the summer.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 pound snow peas (rinsed, drained, strings removed, and tips cut off)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 10 medium mint leaves (chopped)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add garlic and saute. Add snow peas and pine nuts.
Cook on medium heat for two minutes. (Do not over cook the peas. They should still be crunchy).
- Remove from heat and place in serving bowl.
- Gently stir in sesame oil and mint leaves. You are ready to serve.
Red Potatoes with Cheese and Tomatoes. Prep. time 35 mins. Serves 4-6. This is a colorful and healthy side dish. It tastes as good as it looks.
- 8 to 12 small red potatoes (washed not peeled)
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 medium sweet onion (finely chopped)
- 2 large ripe red tomatoes
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 TBS cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- dash salt
- dash pepper
- Placed washed potatoes into pot cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover.
- Cook until tender when pierced with a fork. (About 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat, drain, and place in a serving pan. Keep them warm.
- In a frying pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and simmer until onion is browned.
- Add tomatoes and cook for five minutes. Stir in cream, cilantro, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- While stirring slowly, add the cheese. Cook until cheese is melted.
- Cut potatoes into halves or quarters if the are on the larger size.
- Place potatoes in serving dish. Spoon sauce over potatoes and serve.
Grilled Tomatoes. Prep time 10 mins. Serves 4 to 6. Super fast to prepare and super tasty to eat. These tomatoes are sure to please.
- 3 firm ripe tomatoes cut in half around the middle
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp of Hawaiian salt (sea salt works great too)
- dash fresh ground pepper (white and black mix works great)
- 4 fresh basil leaves thin cut
- Gently remove pulp and seeds from tomatoes. Place on plate, cut sides up.
- Brush with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Place on hot grill cut sides down.
- Cover and cook for approximately four to five minutes. (Check after 2 minutes).
Remove from grill.
- Place on a serving plate drizzle with more olive oil and top with basil. You are now ready to serve.
These five side dishes for Memorial Day are sure to please your friends and family. They are a great addition to any Memorial Day barbecue.