5 Side Dishes For Thanksgiving Dinner
Looking for 5 side dishes for Thanksgiving dinner? Thanksgiving is a time of love, family and wonderful food. These side dish recipes will complete your Thanksgiving dinner, and you will be so happy you tried them.
To make a vegetable casserole for Thanksgiving dinner, you will need:
- 5 zucchini, cut into thick, long slices
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 2 medium onions
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 3 carrots,
- 2 potatoes
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the butter and 1/4 cup of oil. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes, white potatoes, onions and carrots. Add them to the oil in the skillet. Season the mixture well.
- On a medium heat, cook the veggies until done, stirring occasionally. Remove from the stove to cool.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a medium baking dish. Place one layer of zucchini, seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Add in 1/3 of the sweet potato mixture. Spray some oil on top of each layer of veggies.
- Continue doing this for another two layers. On top of the last layer, use the thick tomato slices. Season the tomatoes and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees until the veggies are cooked, or around 40 minutes. Let the vegetable casserole side dish sit for a few minutes before serving.
To make mashed potatoes with mozzarella cheese, you will need:
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring one liter of water to a boil. Add in the diced potatoes and cook until soft and tender. Drain the potatoes.
- With a heavy duty mixer, mash the potatoes slowly. Add in the salt, pepper and butter. Mix until blended.
- Gradually add in the milk and the cream. Add more milk as necessary.
- After the potatoes are done, place them in a ceramic baking dish. Layer slices of mozzarella cheese all around the top of the potatoes.
- Place the mashed potatoes under a broiler for five minutes until the cheese is slightly brown and melted. This makes a great side dish for Thanksgiving dinner!
To make glazed carrots, you will need:
- 2 1/2 cups carrots, sliced into two-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- In a hot skillet, melt the butter. Then add in the brown sugar and honey. Mix all three ingredients together.
- Add in the cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook the glaze mixture over low heat for two minutes.
- Take the skinned and sliced carrots and cook them in boiling water until almost done. Drain the carrots of all liquid.
- Add the carrots to the glaze mixture. Cook the carrots and the honey glaze for three to five minutes more. Serve this side dish on an oval platter sprinkled with chives.
To make French-style green beans and almonds, you will need:
- 1 pound French-style green beans, trimmed
- 1 cup shelled and sliced almonds
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Parmesan cheese
- In a medium sauce pan, place one liter of water and the green beans. Add in some salt and pepper to season the green beans.
- Cook until tender. In a separate skillet, heat the oil. Add in the sliced almonds and cook slightly until browned.
- Drain the cooked beans and place on a platter. Sprinkle the oil-fried almonds on top. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese over the whole side dish.
To make fruit cocktail and vanilla ice cream, you will need:
- 2 cans fruit cocktail
- 3 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Drain the fruit cocktail of the juice and put the fruit in a bowl. Add in the sliced bananas.
- One half hour before it is time to serve Thanksgiving dinner, scoop the ice cream on top of the fruit cocktail salad and allow to melt. Place small bowls next to each plate and place one large scoop of this absolutely delicious fruit cocktail inside. This is a great dessert side dish to be served with Thanksgiving dinner.