5 Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipes
With the winter months approaching these 5 slow cooker beef stew recipes are sure to warm you up. The slow cooker is such an easy alternative to cooking the conventional way.
- Hearty Beef Stew – First, you will need to gather these ingredients: two pounds of beef stew meat cut into one inch cubes, ¼ cup of all purpose flour, ½ teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper, one clove of garlic minced, one bay leaf, one teaspoon of paprika, one teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, one onion chopped, 1 ½ cups of beef broth, three potatoes diced, four carrots sliced and one stalk of celery chopped. Now you will put the meat directly in the slow cooker. In a separate mixing bowl, mix the flour, salt and pepper; then pour it over the meat. Next, stir in the garlic, bay leaf, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, broth, potatoes, carrots and celery. Cover the slow cooker and cook for ten to twelve hours on low or five to six hours on high.
- Spicy Beef Stew – The ingredients you need for this dish are: one tablespoon of olive oil, one pound of beef stew meat, salt and pepper to taste, two cloves of garlic minced, one teaspoon of fresh chopped ginger, one fresh jalapeno pepper diced, one tablespoon of curry powder, one 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes with juice, one onion sliced and quartered and one cup of beef broth. Next, you will take a medium size skillet and heat the olive oil on medium heat and brown the beef on all sides. Then remove the beef from the skillet, and season with salt and pepper, leaving the juice in the skillet. Mix together the garlic, ginger and jalapeno in the skillet for about two minutes or until tender. Season with the curry powder and mix in the diced tomatoes and juice. Place the onion on the bottom of the slow cooker and layer the beef on top. Then pour the mixture on top of the beef and pour in the broth. This dish will cook for six to eight hours on low.
- Simple Beef Stew – For the ingredients, you will need: two pound of beef stew meat cut into one inch cubes, one table spoon of Worcestershire sauce, one tablespoon no salt herb seasoning, five potatoes diced, four carrots sliced, one onion diced, ¾ cup of tomato juice, and one 14.5 ounce can of stewed tomatoes. The night before, you will marinate the stew beef with the herb seasoning and Worcestershire sauce in a plastic bag. In the morning, place the meat on the bottom of your slow cooker and pour the vegetables on top of the meat. Then you will pour in the tomato juice and stewed tomatoes. Lastly, cover and cook for six to eight hours on low.
- Savory Beef Stew – For this meal, you will need: four carrots chopped, two potatoes peeled and cubed, one cup sliced fresh mushrooms, one onion chopped, three stalks of celery chopped, three pounds of beef stew meat cubed, one packet of dry onion soup mix, one can of condensed mushroom soup and 1 ¾ cups of water. Place the vegetables in the slow cooker and layer the meat on top. In a separate bowl, combine the soup mix, condensed soup and water together, then pour it over the meat. Add additional water until it reaches the bottom of the meat. Allow to cook on low overnight adding water as needed in the morning and then allow it to cook for the rest of the day.
- Tuscan Beef Stew – For this Mediterranean inspired dish, you will need: one can of condensed tomato soup, one can of condensed beef broth, ½ cup of dry red wine, one teaspoon of crushed Italian seasoning, one can of diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, three large carrots sliced, two pounds of stew beef and two cans of white kidney beans rinsed and drained. Place all of the ingredients into the slow cooker except for the kidney beans and cook for eight to nine hours on low. Then turn the heat to high, add the kidney beans and cook for an additional ten minutes.
Posted on: Nov. 02, 2010