5 Southern Appetizers For Thanksgiving
Appetizers can really enhance your table on Thanksgiving, so here are 5 Southern appetizers for Thanksgiving that are guaranteed to bring delight to your guests. Having an assortment of crackers, fruits and veggies on hand, along with these dips and Southern appetizers for Thanksgiving, can keep guests satisfied!
Blue Cheese-Bacon Dip (This Southern appetizer serves 12 to 15 people)
- 7 chopped slices bacon
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 2 8 oz. pkgs. Soft cream cheese
- 1/3 c. half and half
- 4 oz. blue cheese crumbled
- 2 tbsp. fresh chives chopped
- 3 tbsp. chopped toasted walnuts
- Grape clusters
- Flatbread or variety of crackers
- Chop bacon and cook for ten minutes until crisp. Drain, set aside.
- Saute´minced garlic in skillet for one minute.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add half and half and continue beating.
- Stir in bacon, garlic, blue cheese and chives.
- Pour mixture into four one-cup baking dishes (or one large baking dish).
- Bake for fifteen minutes at 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Serve with grapes, flatbread and/or crackers.
Stuffed Mushrooms With Pecans (serve 8 with this Southern appetizer at Thanksgiving)
- 2 med. leeks
- 16 oz. mushrooms
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 minced shallots
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ c. grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ c. dry breadcumbs
- ¼ c. chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil chopped
- Garnish with basil sprigs
- Preheat over to 350°.
- Clean and slice leeks thin after removing tops and root ends, then rinse to remove grit and sand.
- Rinse mushrooms and pat dry. Discard stems. Place on wire rack in foil-lined pan. Sprinkle with salt.
- Invert mushrooms and bake for fifteen minutes.
- Saute´ leeks, shallots and garlic for three to five minutes.
- Put mixture in large bowl and stir in Parmesan cheese and rest of ingredients, and remaining salt.
- Spoon one heaping tsp. of mixture into each mushroom cap.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for ten minutes then garnish with leek sprigs.
Pinchos (great Southern appetizer for lots of people at Thanksgiving)
- Salami cubes
- Gherkin pickles (small)
- Fontina cheese
- Mission figs
- Artichoke hearts
- Medium shrimp
- Mozzarella balls
- Roasted red bell peppers
- Pickled okra
- Country ham
- On small skewers, mix any two of the ingredients.
- Serve on tray. Makes a colorful assortment of Southern appetizers for Thanksgiving.
Brown Sugar Fruit Dip (makes 3-1/2 cups)
- ½ c. brown sugar (packed firm)
- 1 8 oz. pkg. soft cream cheese
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 c. coffee liqueur (optional)
- 1 c. frozen whipped topping
- Brown sugar
- Assorted fruit
- Beat brown sugar and cream cheese until smooth.
- Mix in sour cream, vanilla, and coffee liqueur.
- Continue beating until smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Chill covered for four hours.
- Garnish with brown sugar.
- Serve with assortment of fruits.
Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes (serves 8 for Thanksgiving)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ¼ c. mayonnaise
- 8 crumbled bacon slices
- 1 chopped green onions
- Salt and pepper
- Cut small slice from top of tomatoes.
- Scoop out pulp and discard.
- Turn tomatoes upside down and drain for fifteen minutes.
- Put avocado and lemon juice in small bowl, stir gently, drain.
- Stir mayonnaise, bacon and green onions together, add avocado mix and stir gently.
- Put avocado mixture into tomato shells.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for one hour.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper before serving.