5 Supplements For Prostate Health
Looking for 5 supplements for prostate health that can help prevent disease and maintain a healthy prostate gland? The small, walnut-sized prostate gland is responsible for producing male ejaculate and nourishing sperm. Cancer of the prostate, which mostly occurs in older men, is the second most fatal cancer among men. Taking supplements for prostate health, both as a preventative medicine and a nutritional therapy for cancer, is a great way to proactively take control of your health. Dietary nutritional supplements are not a cure for prostate cancer, but they will aid the body in reaching a state of health.
- Take coenzyme Q10 and coenzyme A. These supplements support a healthy prostate by improving cellular oxygenation, thereby increasing the vitality of cells. They work synergistically to support the immune system in eliminating harmful compounds. Take 100 mg daily.
- Garlic is a powerful nutritional supplement for prostate health. Take one to two capsules twice a day. Garlic supports a healthy immune system, and may slow cancer cell growth. It also acts to break down testosterone.
- Supplement with selenium. Selenium is one of the most powerful antioxidants. It is also a nutrient specifically required for normal prostate functioning. High levels of selenium in the body are associated with a lower risk of prostate cancer.
- Take vitamin C supplements with bioflavonoids for prostate health. This vitamin is a potent anticancer antioxidant. Taken with bioflavonoids, it may inhibit the spread of cancerous cells. Take 1,000 to 5,000 mg a day.
- Maitake mushroom extract. This is one of the best supplements for prostate health because the active phytochemicals will block the growth of cancerous cells. Maitake also strengthens the immune system.
Take these 5 supplements for prostate health to fortify the body's defenses, especially if you are at risk for cancer or believe you need the extra nutritional support for your age. For your overall well-being, it is also important to eat a balanced diet, get plenty of exercise, make wise lifestyle choices and get a regular prostate exam.
Balch, Phyllis, CNC. "Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 4th Edition." The Penguin Group, 2006.