While symptoms vary from infection to infection, these 5 symptoms of sexually transmitted diseases are some of the most commonly occurring. According to Avert, an international AIDS charity, there are at least 25 known sexually transmitted diseases out there, so it’s important to be aware of possible symptoms. Even more importantly, always use appropriate protection to avoid contracting any sexually transmitted diseases.
- Soreness. In men, gonorrhea can cause sore or swollen testicles, and trichomoniasis can cause pain or irritation in the penis. Both men and women may experience sensitivity in the genital area before herpes sores develop.
- Unusual bumps, sores, warts or blisters. This is one symptom of sexually transmitted diseases that seems to affect men and women equally. Certain strains of human papillomavirus, or HPV, can cause warts in both sexes. Genital herpes causes sores or blisters in men and women, and the first stage of syphilis is characterized by the appearance of at least one sore.
- Itching. Genital itching is the most common symptom of sexually transmitted diseases. Women with bacterial vaginosis or trichomoniasis often experience vaginal itching. Scabies and pubic lice cause severe genital itching for men and women. Before herpes sores or HPV warts develop, men and women might experience itching at the site. Itching around the opening of the penis is also a sign of chlamydia for men.
- Genital discharge. Bacterial vaginosis, chlamydia, gonorrhea and trichomoniasis are all common sexually transmitted diseases that can cause vaginal discharge. For men, penile discharge can be a sign of chlamydia, gonnorhea or trichomoniasis. Abnormal genital discharge is often white, yellow or green and may be foul-smelling.
- Pain during urination. Both men and women might experience pain during urination if they have chlamydia, gonorrhea or trichomoniasis. It is also common in women with bacterial vaginosis.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)