Plan your camping trip by listing five things to cook on a campfire. Campfire food should be simple to prepare and cook. In most cases, the food can be prepared for cooking in your own kitchen and packaged or frozen as individual meals to cook or reheat on the campfire.
Omelet in a Bag. To make an omelet in a bag, you will need:
- Zipper Bag
- Chopped Onions
- Diced Ham or bacon
- Boiling water
- Prepare the food. Before leaving home, dice onion, ham, tomatoes, peppers and cheese, and store in separate plastic bags.
- Boil a pot of water in a pot. The boiling water will be used to cook the omelet ingredients in a plastic bag so make certain the pot is large and deep enough.
- Mix the omelet. Combine three eggs, onion, diced ham, tomato, peppers or your favorite ingredients in a gallon zip bag. Add salt, then force most of the air out of the bag, then seal. Mix the ingredients together by kneading the bag.
- Cook the omelet. Cook the omelet in a bag in boiling water for ten minutes.
Kabobs. To make kabobs, you will need:
- Bamboo Skewers
- Meat, cut into two inch cubes
- Onion, sliced
- Yellow Squash, ½ inch slices
- Zucchini, ½ inch slices
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Salt, pepper, spices
- Prepare the kabobs. The most efficient way to prepare kabobs is in your own kitchen before you start the camping trip. Dice the meat into two inch cubes. Slice the onion and vegetables. Wash the tomatoes.
- Create the kabobs. Alternate pieces of meat, onion and vegetables on a bamboo skewer. Surround each piece of meat with a slice of onion.
- Store the kabobs in a container with a lid, zipper bag or aluminum foil. The kabobs can be marinated or seasoned before packaging.
- Preheat the grill. Place the kabobs on a hot grill. Turn the kabobs every five minutes until the meat is thoroughly cooked (about fifteen to twenty minutes).
Potato Slices. To make a potato side dish, you will need:
- Aluminum foil
- Potatoes, ¼ inch slices
- Onion, chopped
- Wash the potatoes. Slice the potatoes into ¼ inch slices (like a loaf of bread). Gather the slices together (like a whole potato) and place on the aluminum foil.
- Season the potato slices. Sprinkle the top of the potato slices with salt, pepper or any spice. Add diced onions.
- Wrap the potato completely in foil. Place wrapped potatoes in the bottom of the campfire and bake until tender (about an hour). Test for doneness with a fork.
Foil Packets. To make foil packets, you will need:
- Beef, Chicken or Pork, diced
- Vegetables, diced.
- Tortillas or wraps
- Salt, pepper, spices
- Prepare the ingredients. This is the perfect meal to prepare ahead of time in your own kitchen. Dice up your favorite meat. Dice up your favorite vegetables.
- Make foil packets. Combine the diced meat and vegetables in a bowl and season to taste. Fold individual servings into foil packets.
- Cook on the grill. Place the packet on the grill and cook until the meat is thoroughly cooked (about fifteen to twenty minutes).
- Eat straight out of the foil packet or serve on a wrap or tortilla.
S’mores. To make s’mores, you will need:
- Graham Crackers
- Chocolate Candy Bars
- Break a sheet of graham cracker in half so you have two equal squares of cracker. Cover one half of the graham with chocolate candy bar.
- Toast a marshmallow over the campfire, turning often, until the marshmallow is golden brown and bubbling.
- Place the toasted marshmallow on the graham cracker with chocolate and cover with the other half of the graham cracker.
Preparation is key to cooking any meal while camping. Almost any meal can be prepared before you leave home and packaged for easy cooking.
Food that is not kept properly chilled can spoil easily outdoors. Carefully consider refrigeration options when meal planning for a camping trip.
Cookman, Scott. "The Great American Camping Cookbook." Broadway Books, 2007.
Conners, Tim and Conners, Christine. "The Scout's Outdoor Cookbook." Falcon Guides, 2008.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.