Here are 5 tips for cleaning fiberglass boats that are very important to use because cleaning your boat improperly could result in damage to your boat. If you do not follow the proper techniques used to clean a fiberglass boat you can scratch the boat’s surface, which will result in more work for you. When cleaning fiberglass boats, always remember to start from the top and work your way down.
- Use the Proper Cleaner. Using the proper cleaner is essential for cleaning fiberglass boats. You can use an all purpose cleaner for light cleaning and a biodegradable degreaser on tough cleaning jobs. You will want to fill a bucket of water with warm water and add about ¼ cup of cleaner to the water.
- Use the Proper Cleaning Tools. When cleaning fiberglass boats use a soft scrub brush. Do not use a mop or sponge because course debris can become caught on the mop or sponge, which will scratch the boat and cause damage to the surface. If there are stubborn stains or debris on the boat you can use 600 grit sandpaper. Make sure you wet the sandpaper prior to using it.
- Make your Next Cleaning Easier. When you are done cleaning fiberglass boats you can make your next cleaning easier by taking a few extra minutes to wax your boat. By waxing your boat dirt will be easier to remove the next time around. Plus, it will protect the surface of your boat better than if wax is not used.
- Be Prepared. When cleaning fiberglass boats, it is important to be prepared. Cleaning a boat is not a 5 minute job. Expect to take a few hours, if not all day, to clean your boat thoroughly. If you clean your boat regularly, you will reduce the amount of time you have to spend cleaning your boat each time.
- Get Some Help. To reduce the amount of time you spend cleaning fiberglass boats, ask someone to help you. By having multiple people cleaning the boat you will save yourself some time, which you can later use enjoying you boat. The more people you have helping you, the quicker the job will be.