Check out these 5 tips for cleaning patent leather shoes to keep your shiny footwear looking as good as new. Patent leather shoes come in all shapes and sizes, from children's dress-up shoes to women's pumps to men's tuxedo shoes. Take care of these beautiful shoes and get years of use from them.
To clean patent leather shoes, you'll need:
- Mineral oil or petroleum jelly
- Patent leather cleaner
- A soft cloth
- A black felt-tip marker (for black patent leather shoes)
- Wipe down the patent leather shoes. After you wear your patent leather shoes, wipe them down with a soft cloth to remove any surface dirt. This is also a good opportunity to look to see if there are any scuffs or other unsightly marks on the patent leather of your shoes.
- Eliminate scuffs and marks. When you see a scuff or other mark, take care of it right away. Pour a small amount of mineral oil or get a dab of petroleum jelly on a soft cloth. Rub the scuffs or marks to remove them.
- Condition the entire shoe. Use a soft cloth and apply mineral oil or petroleum jelly to the entire leather portion of the patent leather shoes. This will keep the leather supple and shining.
- Remove marks with a felt-tip marker. If scuffs and marks cannot be buffed out, try using a black felt-tip marker to cover the scuff mark. Try it first in a spot that does not show. Lightly apply the marker then buff the leather to blend it and remove excess marker ink.
- Splurge on patent leather cleaner. To keep your patent leather shoes in good shape and lasting for years, consider buying a commercial patent leather cleaner to apply as recommended. By protecting your shoes, you will get years of use from them.