5 Tips For Getting Over Heartbreak
If you've had your heart broken, you know how tough it can be, but with these 5 tips for getting over heartbreak, the process can be easier. As a man, things can be that much harder because we're not supposed to be emotional. Chicks can have it easier, as they tend to have a larger support network, but with these tips for overcoming heartbreak, you can start to realize that you will get through this.
- Grieve. Too often, when we have our heart broken, our first instinct is to push it all down inside and pretend that nothing is wrong. This is a huge mistake and will end up costing you down the road. Allow yourself to grieve and feel the pain. Fighting it only makes it worse and in the end, fighting the pain will only lead you to make bad choices. An example of a bad choice is a rebound relationship. If you're hurting, seeking out a rebound is the worst. You'll be comparing your new love to your ex, you'll be talking about your ex constantly, and you may end up hurting someone else in the way that you've been hurt.
- Open up. As mentioned, guys are told that they aren't supposed to show emotions or cry. To hell with that! If you need to cry, then cry your eyes out. Try talking to family and friends and be honest about your feelings. The people who love you and care for you will not judge you. They are there to be supportive when you need someone to lean on. Heartbreak is one of the worst experiences a person can go through, so don't refuse help from outside sources.
- Consider counseling. If things are really bad, consider counseling. If you feel embarrassed talking to family and friends, a counselor might be a good alternative. Since they have been trained in dealing with emotional pain and how to heal it, a counselor can give you objective insight into your life, your decisions, and your healing. This is something that people close to you might not be able to do.
- Don't turn to drugs/alcohol. At the time, it may seem like a good idea to get drunk or high. The problem with doing this is that you would only be masking and prolonging the pain. It's better to accept what has happened as a result of your heartbreak and move forward rather than to bury all of those emotions. It's perfectly understandable if you overindulge sometimes, but keep a close eye on things so that you don't develop an addiction.
- Give yourself time. The biggest and best tip that you can receive regarding getting over heartbreak is to give yourself time. Every person is different and every relationship is different. Heartbreak may mean different things in different situations, so give yourself the appropriate amount of time needed. If you aren't over it, you aren't over it. There is no timetable. Look after yourself, do things that make you happy, live healthy, and don't retaliate against the person who broke your heart. Show them that, through healthy and happy living, you have moved on. They will come to see their mistake one day.