5 Tips For Giving A Foot Massage
To make your next foot massage more enjoyable here are 5 tips for giving a foot massage. These tips will show you how to prepare the foot before the massage, the best ways to massage the foot and how to prepare the foot after the massage.
- Soak the feet. One of the most important tips for giving a foot massage is to soak the feet beforehand. Soaking the feet makes them soft and supple. Not only will they be easier to massage after a soaking but they will also feel better being massaged. Soak the feet in warm water. Add in a few drops of essential oil or softening bath salts if desired.
- Always dry the feet. Before giving a foot massage, be sure that the feet are completely dry before adding on the oils and creams. Dry feet will help the oil or cream absorb easily into the foot.
- Use moderate oil or cream. Using the right amount of oil or cream can make a big difference when giving a foot massage. Too little oil or cream will be absorbed too quickly and can create skin friction. Too much oil or cream will not allow you to get a firm grip on the foot or apply the appropriate amount of pressure.
- Use firm pressure. When giving the foot massage, use firm pressure but not so firm as to cause discomfort. When starting to massage a new area of the foot, start with light pressure and gradually increase. Your strokes should be even and light. On areas suck as the heel, extra firm pressure will feel enjoyable
- Prepare the feet after the massage. The last of the five tips for giving a foot massage is to prepare the feet after the massage. When the foot massage is over, be sure to remove all excess oil or cream from the foot. Place soft socks on the feet to retain moisture.
Posted on: Jul. 13, 2010