5 Tips On How To Manage A Retirement Home Dining Room
Here are 5 tips on how to manage a retirement dining room. If you're tasked with managing a retirement home dining room, you're already familiar with the challenges presented. Aging is not for the faint of heart, and neither is managing any portion of a retirement home. But, if done properly, this very important job can be very satisfying.
- Create a pleasing environment for your retirement home diners. Living in a retirement home can be monotonous so make the dining experience more special by adding some fresh flowers or potted herbs to the middle of the table. Add a small write up of the plant to the table and you might just spark some conversation amongst your diners.
- Keep your retirement home diners engaged. You might consider having a weekly drawing for a small gift. Just placing a book of Mad Gabs Party Games on the table might spark conversation. Throw a few trivial pursuit cards in the middle of the tables and sit back to watch the fun.
- Hire the right people for the job. A retirement home dining room is not just your ordinary dining room. The seniors eating there might need more attention with meals than other diners. Hiring sympathetic employees who enjoy the elderly is key to making sure everyone keeps their dignity and enjoys the dining experience.
- Be aware of dietary restrictions. Your clients could well have dietary restrictions which come with age, such as the need for low-sugar, low-salt diets. Keeping track of these dietary restrictions can be daunting but is a necessary part of keeping your diners healthy and happy.
- Explore options of cooking with fresh herbs. Fresh herbs can add that spice that's missing from when you take away the salt and sugar from meals. Add sprigs of mint to a lamb dinner, or add basil to a fresh salad to mix it up a bit.
- Honor your diners. Above all, train your staff to be respectful of the seniors dining at your retirement home dining room. Be a good example by walking around and talking to the diners. Ask them about their favorite recipes and try to incorporate them into future meals.
With a bit of creativity, managing a retirement home dining room may just end up being the best job you've ever imagined.