5 Tips For Ocean Kayaking In Monterey
Listed below are five tips for ocean kayaking in Monterey. A wonderful sport, ocean kayaking requires participants to paddle a small craft in the ocean, an activity that allows them to explore, fish, and see wonderful wildlife. Although the experience is almost always enjoyable, maintaining safety and bringing certain supplies can make for a better outing. Following are five tips for ocean kayaking in Monterey, California.
- First, be safe. Bring your life vest, and make sure that it fits well ahead of time. Wear it even when you think that you do not have to, as this will certainly do nothing other than prevent bad situations from happening. You want to be able to float if something should happen.
- Next, as many kayakers leaving out of Monterey do day trips, bring all of the daily supplies that you will need. Plenty of water should be brought on board, as should sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, and long clothes, if necessary, to prevent sunburn.
- Check the tides, if you are going to be ocean kayaking in coves or lagoons near shore, home to wonderful kelp forests, be sure that you are not going to be going at low tide, which will make maneuvering such areas hard. A rising tide, which has already filled such waters marks a fine time to explore the tidal areas just off of California's coast.
- Pick the right days to head out. If you are going just for the kayaking experience, rain should not deter you, but if you intend to fish or go wildlife watching, calm, clear days are best, as controlling the boat is much easier, and visibility is superior. Check weather beforehand to make sure your trip will be perfect.
- Go with a friend, if you have someone who also enjoys the sport. Although it is fun going out by yourself, it will be more fun, and safer if you plan your trips with a partner. This can greatly minimize any problems that may have kayakers requiring assistance from other people, so, if you can invite someone else along, and have a great time on the water!
Heed the five tips for ocean kayaking in Monterey to maximize your experience. Although an outing is fun in itself, it will be better if you are as safe as possible, and completely prepared for your day trips in the Pacific.