5 Tips For Sea Kayaking
Knowing about 5 tips for sea kayaking is essential if you plan on hitting the ocean for a kayak adventure anytime soon. From bringing along a first aid kit to wearing the right clothing, there are many excellent tips related to sea kayaking.
- Bring along a first aid kit. One of the best things about sea kayaks in particular is that they usually offer a lot of storage space. One of the most important tips for sea kayaking is to always bring along a first aid kit. From sunburns to dehydration, there are many illnesses one may experience while out kayaking on the sea and having a first aid kit handy to treat your illness is essential.
- Always, always, always wear a life vest. Before you even think about hitting the ocean via kayak, be sure to first put on your life vest. According to the American Canoe Association, 48% of all kayak related fatality victims did not wear a PFD (personal flotation device) while kayaking. It doesn’t matter if you’re the most prolific and talented swimmer ever, accidents still happen, so always wear a life vest while sea kayaking.
- Learn the Eskimo roll and how to brace effectively. Learning how to brace against strong waves and currents as well as practicing how to right a capsized kayak via the Eskimo roll is another one of the best tips for sea kayaking. Learning the right safety techniques will ensure you stay on top of the water instead of in its deep depths.
- Wear the right clothes. Another one of the most important tips for sea kayaking is to always dress accordingly. If you plan on sea kayaking during the wintertime be sure to wear warm clothing. Be aware that the waters during the summertime can also be quite cold, so dress warmly during this season as well. Don’t wear cotton as it soaks up water easily and holds it against the skin. Also, be sure to wear a good hat to keep the sun off your face.
- Bring along a compass. One of the most important tips for sea kayaking, yet perhaps the least mentioned, is to always bring along a compass. Exploring the sea by kayak is a wonderful experience, so wonderful that hours can pass before you even know it. Bring along a compass so you don’t get lost and are able to find your way back home.
Posted on: Mar. 24, 2010