Man and his best friend have a long history together, so it is important to know these 5 tips for working with dogs. After all, you wouldn't want to spoil that beautiful amiability! The domestic dog has been genetically separate from other wolf species for nearly 15,000 years, at which point either man domesticated wolves or the wolves self-domesticated. While tips for working with dogs are important to keep in mind, the domestic dog is already well evolved to be a human companion. Working with dogs, thus, is a beautiful experience between two species who mutually work harmoniously (most of the time).
- Treat the dog with the respect of any other person. Your best friend would do a lot for you, can you say the same? While working with dogs can sometimes bring stressful situations, it is important to never take out frustrations on a dog. Canine abuse is more prevalent than you might think, and not everyone appreciates the love and loyalty a dog can bring. So be different: treat your dog to the best of your abilities.
- Communication is vital. Most dogs can't speak a word of English. Still, that doesn't mean they don't understand the gist of what you are getting at. Constantly show positive affection to your best friend, pet him/her on the head, and play around a little. Working with dogs means you'll need to understand their mentality, which is that of a pack animal. Unlike cats, who are bred to be lone predators, dogs require frequent communication and care.
- Your best friend needs other friends. Because of their pack mentality, dogs can easily recognize other dogs and differentiate species. Although you are his "best" friend you will need to introduce a few other friends for his sake. Although you don't have to be working with dogs to know this, canines need a "pack" to be a part of.
- Take formal training classes and do your research. Possibly one of the more non-conventional tips for working with dogs, this will give some formality toward you two's training sessions. It can often be frustrating as a pet owner/dog associate when you cannot understand why your little buddy isn't responding to your "methods". Truth be told, there are experts for training and working with dogs, and you would be wise to listen to what they have to say.
- Train daily. Whether your friend is a hunting dog or an eye-seeing dog, it is important to keep up with training. Repetition and consistency are vital for teaching dogs new things (just as you hold out a treat for him after accomplishing a task).
Again, working with dogs isn't always the hardest thing in the world, because most are very friendly and open to new people. These tips for working with dogs should serve you and your best friend well for years to come!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?