5 Tommy Lee Drumming Tips
If you are interested in drumming like Tommy Lee, then you need to know 5 Tommy Lee drumming tips. Following these tips will allow you to play very similarly to Tommy Lee, but don’t let that cloud your thoughts about drumming because you need to develop your own style along with learning the techniques of other drummers that make them so influential.
- Solo on those drums. Tommy Lee is a big proponent of well thought out and awesome sounding solos. To successfully pull off a Tommy Lee like solo, you need to make sure to keep the time and to still have the underlying hint of the rhythm of the song, and know to balance the super fast drumming with the simplified basic rhythm of the song to create a buildup effect that lets the audience take in the solo that Mr. Lee just put out.
- Take some tips from dance music. Tommy Lee, being a drummer and deejay, has stressed the importance to all drummers to take influences from the popular dance music of the day. His thought is that all dance music has that one beat that is always there throughout the entire song, and if you incorporate this into your music, people will be much more likely to love it just because it has a sense of organization that people naturally love in their music.
- Play different types of music with your drumming. This is something that Tommy Lee has shown more than talked about but doing this will make you an all around better drummer in that you will learn tricks you wouldn’t have learned just from playing one type of music. For example, if you are a metal head, try out some classic rock, or, if you’re feeling really creative, try out jazz. It will be different to you but it will make you appreciate and maybe even like some other types of music and their drums.
- Try to not to take a hiatus from playing at all. Lee said himself that even for him, if he hasn’t played in a while, it will take a second for you to get your bearings. Try to always at least play a little bit just so you can keep your sense of rhythm and drumming technique.
- Use that Double Bass! Easily the thing that will make you the most like Tommy Lee and his drumming. The double bass has been essential to all of his playing styles in all of his bands, so if you want to sound like him, give them a try!