These 5 traditional side dish Samhain recipes will fill the house with the rich scents of fall. Use fresh fall fruits and vegetables to make these side dishes live up to their full potential.Samhian is a traditional Celtic holiday that is full of rich hearty dishes.
Cheese Stuffed Apples Side Dish for Samhain
You will need:
- 1 3 oz. package softened cream cheese
- 4 medium apples
- 1 1/3 oz. Apple Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tbsp dry white wine
- Beat both cheeses with the wine until smooth.
- Core apples, and hollow out. Leave apple shells that are about 1/2 inch thick.
- Fill apples with cheese mixture and chill for two to three hours.
Samhain Corn and Cabbage Side Dish
- 1 10 oz package of whole kernal corn
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 tbsp chopped onion
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a casserole dish combine corn, cabbage onion and water.
- Microwave covered on high for three minutes. Stir and microwave three more minutes.
- Drain in colander.
- In the same casserole dish mix rest of ingredients. Add vegetables.
- Microwave uncovered for three minutes. Stir. Microwave three more minutes.
Traditional Samhain Candied Squash Ring Side Dish
- 2 acorn squashes
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- Cut squash crosswise into one inch slices. Discard seeds and ends.
- Arrange in single layer in shallow baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Combine sugar and butter. Spread over squash.
- Bake uncovered for another fifteen to twenty minutes.
Samhain Hash Side Dish
- 1 cup ground beef
- 1 cup ground potatoes
- 1/4 cup ground onion
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 6 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- Cook beef, potatoes, onion, parsley, evaporated milk, and Worchestershire in fry pan.
- Turn into casserole dish.
- Mix bread crumbs with melted butter and sprinkle on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Traditional Samhain Candied Sweet Potatoes
- 1 large can of peeled, cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- dash salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- handful of walnuts
- Cut potatoes into 1/2 inch slices
- Combine sugar, water, salt, butter, and cinnamon in large saute pan. Cook for five minutes.
- Add potatoes. Cook over low heat for 45 minutes. Turn potatoes occasionally to coat.
- During last five minutes, add walnuts.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …