5 Treadmill Running Workouts
Running on a treadmill is a great workout. Running on a treadmill provides instant feedback on your progress by looking at the display. It's a piece of equipment that you can find at any gym, or can buy for your home at a reasonable price for a great workout. Here are five great running workouts you can do on a treadmill.
- Calorie Based. One of the reasons running on treadmills is so popular is because of the display. As you're running most treadmills will give you an indication of how many calories you've burned off. You can set a goal and run until you burn off last night's pizza.
- Intervals. You can use the timer on the treadmill to monitor your time. After a five minute gentle running warm up, run at a tempo that’s hard for you to maintain for five minutes, then run at a slower recovery pace for five minutes. Repeat this for thirty minutes and you will work up a sweat!
- Hills. After warming up, you can adjust the incline on the treadmill up and down every five minutes. This re-creates the challenges of running hills on the comfort of an indoor treadmill.
- Music driven. Create a playlist that starts with a moderate song to warm up. Then use five or six up tempo songs. Before you know it you’ll be humming along with the music and using it to keep you going while you're running on the treadmill. Finish off your workout by listening to a ballad. If you're running at a gym, just make sure you're not signing loud enough to bug the person running next to you.
- Random. Most modern treadmills have a random setting. When you are bored with all of your preplanned treadmill workouts and just want to run, why not try one of the pre-programmed workouts? This is a great option at the end of a long day when you don’t have the creativity to set up a specific treadmill workout.
No matter which of these treadmill workouts you try, as long as you keep running, you will get healthier and stay in shape. To make sure you get the biggest benefit from your workout, make sure you don't hold onto the handrails while you're running on the treadmill. Take these suggestions and head to the gym!