These five Valentine's Day side dishes can complement just about any main course you were planning to make. Making an intimate dinner for two? Choose one or two sides. Planning a big get together to celebrate? Make all five and lay them out on the table for everyone to try.
- Strawberry salad is an easy side dish to throw together, and the red adds to the festive holiday feel. Cut up any type of lettuce or spinach. Slice or cut strawberries into fourths and sprinkle over the lettuce. You can add any other traditional salad ingredients to complement the dish, but consider adding something crunchy like cashews or almonds and a vinaigrette dressing.
- Bruchetta with sauteed red peppers or diced tomatoes is another side dish that adds color to the table. Broil slices of French bread in the oven and top with the tomatoes or peppers. If you aren't sure if everyone will like this, lay out the bread and a small bowl with the toppings beside it. While shredded parmesan cheese may cover up some of the color, it still adds a great flavor.
- Chocolate-covered strawberries are a go-to side dish for Valentine's Day. These can be purchased at the store already made, or you can make them yourself. Be sure to plan on enough time to dip the strawberries and let the chocolate harden. Place them on wax paper to dry and then, remove from the paper and arrange on a plate.
- Red jello is an easy side dish for Valentine's Day. It can be made in advance and set in the refrigerator until it is time to eat. You can make a large bowl of jello or make individual servings in cups or ramekins. For an added step, add whipped cream to the top. If you are feeling really ambitious, you can make the jello on a cookie sheet and cut out heart shapes.
- It may seem to easy to just put out chips and salsa, but it can work! Feeling like you have too much red at the table? Add some ranch dressing to the salsa and mix together. Now, you have a homemade dipping sauce and it's pink. Again, if you want to go all out, pick up some red tortilla chips at the grocery store.
Valentine's Day side dishes can show everyone that you put a little extra thought into your time spent together.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.