5 Valentines Day Mini Desserts
These 5 Valentines Day mini desserts will look like you went to a lot of trouble to make the holiday special, but they can be whipped up in minutes with very little effort. Valentines Day should be spent focusing on each other, not slaving in the kitchen, so you'll have to think of some other ways to show your romantic enthusiasm. After picking one of these mini desserts, there will be plenty of time to ponder that vexing problem.
- Toasted Coconut Balls. Buy a bag of flaked coconut, put a handful into a non-stick skillet and toss over medium-high heat until coconut is lightly brown. Remove from pan and let cool. Use a small melon ball or ice cream scoop and form vanilla, chocolate, coffee or coconut ice cream into small balls. Roll the balls in the toasted coconut and keep them in the freezer in a container until ready to serve.
- Chocolate Strawberry Cookies. Buy good-quality sugar cookies (or make your own if you'd rather), fresh strawberries and a jar of Nutella chocolate spread, which can be found in the jelly aisle of most grocers. Spread the cookies with a dollop of Nutella and top with sliced strawberries.
- Kisses In Drunken Cream. Gotta love the title of this one. Gently stir a shotglass of your favorite liquor into two cups of whipped cream. Spoon the drunken cream into two martini or other glasses. Top with Hershey's Chocolate Kisses (and, yes, you have to unwrap them first.) Suggest an exchange of chocolate kisses by mouth. You might need more liquor for that.
- Shortcut Dessert. For minimal effort, buy a box of the best chocolate candies you can find, along with some gourmet cookies and a pint of red berries (raspberries, strawberries, etc.). Arrange the cookies in a circle on the outside of a plate, then a row of chocolates inside of that, then pour the (washed) berries into the center. Dessert is done.
- Jam Cookie Sandwiches. Buy a box of frozen puff pastry in the bread section of the grocer's freezer. Also buy a good-quality jam. Choose red jam to keep with the holiday theme. Then buy a heart-shaped cookie cutter, which can also be found in most grocers. Follow instructions on the box for preparing the puff pastry. Cut out heart-shaped pieces with the cookie cutter. Spread jam on one heart, then top with another. Continue until all hearts are done. Bake in 425-degree oven for fifteen to twenty minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- All of these desserts can be prepared in advance. Store the Kisses In Drunken Cream in the refrigerator until ready to use. Nothing romantic about food poisoning.
- You can take your dessert show on the road, if need be. Use a cooler for the cold desserts, and set the ice cream balls, well wrapped, on top of a plastic bag of ice. Be sure to get it in the freezer at your destination if it won't be served immediately.
Try these mini desserts any time of the year. Everyone loves a bit of something sweet, and these nibbles will look and taste especially good.