5 Vegetarian Holiday Cooking Recipes
These five vegetarian holiday cooking recipes are a great way to introduce family and friends to vegetarianism. They will see that you don't have to sacrifice taste to go meatless. Enjoy these recipes for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any time you need to serve a very special meal!
Holiday Mashed Potatoes
- 6 pounds potatoes
- 2 heads garlic, peeled and cooked
- 1/2 cup margarine (1 stick)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 cups soy milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and peel potatoes. Cook as you normally would for mashed potatoes.
- Drain, and place in large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and whip by hand or with electric mixer.
Holiday Vegetarian Cranberry Stuffed Squash
- 2 acorn squashes
- 1 cup chopped pears
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- Cut squash in half lengthwise. Place in baking dish with the cut side up.
- Combine remaining ingredients. Spoon into squash cavities.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.
Holiday Tomato Salad
- 1 pound tomatoes, sliced
- 1 to 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix all ingredients.
- Refrigerate and serve.
Holiday Vegetarian Baked Yams
- 3 yams, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the yams in water until soft. Drain well and mash.
- Mix the yams with remaining ingredients except pecan pieces.
- Place in baking dish and top evenly with pecan pieces. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Holiday Vegetarian Seven Layer Squares
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- Melt margarine in a baking pan. Sprinkle crumbs evenly over margarine and mix.
- Layer chocolate chips, coconut, butterscotch chips and pecans, in that order.
- Pour condensed milk evenly over top of layers.
- Bake 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- While still warm, cut into squares and cool in the pan on a wire rack.