5 Vegetarian Holiday Food Ideas
Why not try one of these five vegetarian holiday food ideas this year? A vegetarian meal can be just as delicious and colorful as the traditional turkey and ham holiday dinner. These five vegetarian holiday food ideas even have a delicious smoothie included.
To make pumpkin soup you will need:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large stalk celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 pint vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup milk or substitute
- In a skillet put in the butter and oil to heat. Add in the onion and celery to sauté for three minutes.
- Add in the garlic, pumpkin, stock and cinnamon. Cook for ten minutes, stirring often.
- Put the entire soup in a blender and pulse. Return the soup back to the pan and add in the milk.
- Bring to a low boil and remove from the stove. Serve this vegetarian holiday dish first.
Grilled and Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
To make the Portobello mushrooms you will need:
- 5 Portobello mushrooms, stem removed
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray. Bake the Portobello mushrooms in a preheated 425 degrees for twenty to 25 minutes.
- When tender remove from the oven. Spread a small amount of the pizza sauce on the bottom of each mushroom.
- Mix together the cheeses, spinach, salt and pepper. Spoon the cheese and spinach mixture in each mushroom.
- Bake in a hot 425 degree oven for ten minutes. This vegetarian holiday food idea is perfect for a meatless meal.
To make the winter salad you will need:
- 1 pound butternut squash, cubed
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 1 bag mixed greens
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 lime juiced
- Salt and pepper
- Make the dressing first with three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, lime juice and the honey. Set aside to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel and deseed the butternut squash. Then cut it into chunks.
- Mix the one tablespoon of oil left on the squash junks with some salt and pepper. Bake the squash in the oven for 30 minutes until tender and lightly browned on the edges.
- Remove from the baking tray to cool slightly. Make the salad using the mixed greens, pomegranate seeds and the squash. Mix lightly and then add salt, pepper and the dressing.
- This winter salad is very colorful and just perfect for any holiday table. This salad can be interchanged with any of the many pumpkins available.
Roasted Winter Vegetables
To make the winter vegetables you will need:
- 1/2 pound carrots
- 1/2 pound parsnips
- 6 shallots, cut in half
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 small butternut squash (1 1/2 pounds)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and deseed the butternut squash. Cut the squash, carrots, parsnips and potatoes in chunks no bigger than 1 1/2 inches.
- Sprinkle the oil all over the veggies and then season with the salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a hot 425 degree oven for 30 minutes or until done. Turn the veggies once during the cooking.
- The very simple and easy vegetarian dish will look wonderful on your plate next to your main entree. Another holiday food ideal that is very filling and low on calories.
Banana and Pumpkin Smoothie
To make the pumpkin smoothie you will need:
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, chilled
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 5 ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash nutmeg
- 2 bananas, frozen
- Dash cinnamon
- 2 mint leaves
- In a blender put the yogurt, milk, orange juice, pumpkin, bananas, honey, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pulse slowly until mixed together.
- Add in the ice cubes for thickness if needed. Blend on high speed until the ice is ground.
- Pour this holiday smoothie into tall glasses and garnish with a mint leaf and a dash of cinnamon. Christmas dinner will never be the same with this cocktail of heaven being served.