It's time to bid adieu to the old year and kick those bad eating habits to the curb, so jump on the healthy eating bandwagon with these 5 vegetarian New Year's Eve recipes. This food will be so tasty, your carnivore guests won't miss the meat.
- Veggie lasagna. Spray your baking dish with cooking spray. Layer rows of cooked lasagna noodles, sautéed zucchini, Italian sauce, more noodles and ricotta. Add another layer of noodles, spoon some Italian sauce over them and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately an hour so all the flavors can blend. Remove the cover so the cheese can get all bubbly and brown. This will be one of the most popular of the five vegetarian New Year's Eve recipes.
- Tofu stir fry. Heat a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add sliced mixed vegetables and cook until tender. Next add some cubed tofu and a few dashes of soy sauce. Serve over mounds of rice. This delicious vegetarian dish will make your New Year's Eve party even more fun and festive.
- Spaghetti with marinara. For a dish that can be prepared far in advance of the New Year's Eve get-together, a vegetarian spaghetti sauce will fit the bill. Combine 2 cans of stewed tomatoes, 2 cans of tomato sauce, 1 large can of tomato paste, 3 tablespoons of Italian seasoning, 1 cup of sliced mushrooms, 1 cup of diced bell pepper, 1 cup of diced onion and 1 cup of chopped spinach. Simmer on low as long as you need—from an hour to all day if needed. Just check on it often, and as the liquid evaporates, add water. Serve over your favorite pasta.
- Vegetarian rolls. Sauté 1 cup of mushrooms, 2 cups of sprouts, 1 cup of shredded carrots, 1/2 cup of diced onion and 1/2 cup of diced bell pepper in a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable broth, 1 teaspoon of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Stir well and remove from heat. Scoop a couple of tablespoons of the sautéed mixture onto the center of egg roll wrappers. Fold one corner up and roll halfway. Seal the edges by flipping them up, then finish rolling. Deep fry your vegetarian rolls until they are brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels. Serve with Chinese mustard and soy sauce for dipping. Everyone will want this vegetarian New Year's Eve recipe.
- Four bean salad. Combine a can of green beans, a can of garbanzo beans, a can of red kidney beans and a can of black beans. Gently toss in a half cup of diced onion and a half cup of diced bell pepper. In a separate bowl, mix 1/2 cup of Italian dressing with 2 tablespoons of honey. Sprinkle in a little cayenne for zing. Pour this mixture over the beans and gently stir to finish off the five vegetarian New Year's Eve recipes you'll serve this year.
Do as much preparation in advance as possible if you're preparing these five vegetarian New Year's Eve recipes for a party so you can enjoy the celebration. Ask friends to each bring their own vegetarian dish, and you'll have a feast to ring in the New Year.