If you are looking for ways to add avocados to your diet, learn about five ways to eat avocados for a healthy heart. Avocados provide essential fatty acids that can promote cardiovascular health. Eating avocados can help to lower your LDL (low density lipoprotein) cholesterol, which will make your heart healthier. Additionally, the unsaturated fat will also fill you up so you are less tempted to eat "bad" fat, like saturated fat, which leads to obesity and hypertension. Avocados are also cholesterol free. Here are five ways to eat avocados for a healthy heart:
- Top your salad with avocados for a healthy heart. Avocados are a delicious addition to most salads. Because avocados are rich and creamy, you won't have to use as much salad dressing. Use a little bit of olive oil and vinegar with the avocados to make your salad even more heart healthy.
- Dip your chips in guacamole for a healthy heart. Get some low-fat tortilla chips (preferably whole wheat) and dip them in your favorite guacamole recipe. By using an avocado based dip instead of a mayonnaise based dip, you get all of the flavor, but you save yourself a lot of unsaturated fat (which has been demonstrated to contribute to heart disease).
- Replace meat with avocado for a healthy heart. Eating a veggie sandwich can leave you feeling unsatisfied, but if you add thick slices of avocado, your sandwich will instantly become more hearty (and heart healthy). If you don't enjoy avocado slices, you can obtain the same nutritional benefits if you mash up the avocado and use it as a spread.
- Eat the Avocado Plain. Eating a plain avocado can be a tasty and heart healthy snack. Slice or mash a medium avocado and eat it with a fork. Add salt and pepper to taste. A medium avocado contains approximately 250 calories and 16 grams of fat. Most of the fat is monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fat.
- Make an avocado wrap. Another heart healthy way to eat an avocado is to make a wrap. Get a small whole wheat tortilla and fill it with half of an avocado and as many vegetables as you want. If your avocado wrap is too dry, add some vinaigrette.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...