If you want to be a boat owner but live in something resembling abject poverty, have no fear, here are 5 ways to get a great deal on a boat. We can’t promise a new life of silicone beauties and 80-foot yachts, but we can provide you with the opportunity to laugh at land lubbers and think “yeah, that’s right, I’ve got a boat” as you feed yourself with cold, canned beans.
- The internet. Obviously, if you want to get a great deal on a boat, you are going to have to buy used. The internet is full of wonderful little sites that offer access to classified ads from all over the world. You can certainly find a great deal on any kind of boat on the internet. Heck, you might even be able to barter for a more reasonable price!
- Salvage. Face it, you’re not a pirate, and you never will be, so salvaging a boat and drinking rum is probably the closest you’re ever going to get. Maritime law is full of all sorts of strange salvage statutes that make it possible to get an abandoned boat, or a boat in duress, for next to nothing. You can buy a salvaged boat for cheap, or find one and tow it yourself. Once you learn all the local maritime laws, the ocean can become one big game of finders-keepers, and salvaging a vessel is one of the best ways to get a great deal on a boat.
- Police auction. Two words: drug boat. One smugglers loss is your gain. As long as you don’t mind acquiring a boat built on dirty money and the blood of innocents, picking up a drug boat is the best way to get a great deal on a boat that actually floats.
- A fixer-upper. This goes hand in hand with salvaging a boat. If you really want to get a good deal on a boat, you need to be willing to put some work into it. Often times, it could be a lot of work. However, if you get your hands on a boat that is structurally sound and bring that baby back to showroom condition, you will likely have tripled your investment.
- Meet people. If you’re really poor and your only objective is buying a boat, you’re going to need to dedicate some serious time to the project. Get a job at the local marina, learn about boats and meet boat people. The more sea-faring people you know, the better your chances of getting a great deal on a boat. Plus, all your newfound knowledge will come in handy when you have to get the thing back in seaworthy condition.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?