Use these 5 wildlife photography tips for when you have your camera poised and ready. These tips can help you whether you are taking pictures on an African Safari, on a day trip to the Zoo, or just taking pictures of the wildlife in your backyard.
- First and foremost, you should always respect the animal. They are called wild animals for a reason. Always stay a safe distance away from the animal and respect their space. Not only will you be safer, but the wildlife will feel safer and act more natural knowing you are a safe distance away.
- Patience is a virtue. Wildlife photography can be a time consuming project if you are looking to get the animal in its own habitat acting natural. No matter how quiet you think you are the animal knows you are there. They hear you, smell you, and see you. Pick a spot and be still. They will eventually go back to doing what they were doing before you interrupted them.
- Be flexible. Don’t have your heart set on photographing any certain animal. They all have minds of their own and do not operate on your schedule. If your dead set on getting pictures of raccoons, you may be missing some great photo ops of other nearby animals.
- Be prepared. The moment you set the camera down, you will have missed an opportunity. Animals are a lot like kids, they do the most amazing things when you are not paying attention. This also also reminds us that patience is a virtue.
- Have the right equipment. The right equipment extends from the right camera to the supplies you need to last you through your wildlife photography adventure. If you are using a digital camera, bring multiple memory cards. If you’re using film, bring several rolls. And don’t forget extra batteries. Natural doesn’t supply outlets for you to recharge.
Wildlife photography can be your hobby or a job. Either way, following these few simple tips, you can get some great pictures and stay safe in their habitat.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …