If you want to keep your internet browsing fun and safe, take a look at these 5 wireless internet security issues you will want to avoid. Many users are unaware that their laptop is prone to wireless security invasion. From viruses to remote access, enabling wireless internet for a device in a public place holds some degree of risk. These risks are exacerbated when the user is unaware of their own wireless security threats. Understanding these security issues will help maintain the integrity of your wireless device.
- Identity Theft. This may be higher than the traditional virus because it risks your financial security. Identity theft is when your credit card information or other aspects of your identity are stolen, usually for the purpose of stealing goods or services on the Internet. In situations of Wireless access, identity theft occurs when someone else accesses your computer through and open network and finds such information such as debit card numbers that they can use. It can take time for banks to also refund this lost money, as they have a lengthy process they go through to for situations dealing with fraud. You must also have your card information reissued and go through the process of changing any of the potentials that could have caused the identity theft, such as stolen passwords and so forth.
- Viruses can occur when wireless networks are open for others to connect to such as in public places. This is because some viruses can use networks to travel through. These types of viruses are very sophisticated. They can access email programs, as well as chat programs and further replicate themselves, sending off messages to your friends. When connecting to a public computer always enable anti-virus.
- Spy-ware is different than viruses in that it infects your computer in order to display ads. Essentially it is for the financial gain where as viruses are meant to simply disrupt a computer. Spy-ware can also slow down your computer significantly, alter Windows system files and over-write program and important files. It can make browsing on the Internet a horrible experience as ads can pop up constantly and make your browser sluggish.
- Drivebys are when people, usually in a car, using a laptop access your network from the street. Most computer networks have a decent range, and if they are left without password, anyone can gain access to them. In these situations people can be looking for financial information, or anything incriminating. Sometimes these are done simply for prank, and other times for serious blackmailing purposes.
- Default Router passwords, are another hazardous security issue. The password that is placed on a wireless router is a preset, and when purchased, many times is not changed by the user. This opens up your router to manipulation and hacking. Always set a new password on wireless hardware and never use the factory defaults.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.