The 5 best young black female pop singers are there to remind us that men really don't have the market cornered in the pop world—though it can sure seem like it sometimes. The 5 best young female pop singers also exist to remind people that female black singers don't always have to be either rappers or R&B soul sistas like Beyonce.
- Alicia Keys. Alicia Keys is the best young black female pop singer because she's already achieved a lot musically and she's still only in her 20s. While her earlier albums focused more on R&B, she did branch out into pop rock for her 2007 album called "As I Am," which was somewhat of a departure from her original style, but not too much to hurt her commercially.
- Rihanna. The second-best young black female pop singer is Rihanna, on account of her ability to bounce back from a massively furious beatdown from her old boyfriend, Chris Brown. After she got punched and bitten by Brown in a much-publicized scandal of violence, Rihanna seemed to be a wreck, but she's since bounced back to continued success with her new album, "Rated R." Plus, she has another new album on the way in November of 2010.
- Ashanti. The third-best young black female pop singer is Ashanti, and some people out there in TV land may not really remember her anymore because her success occurred in the earlier portion of the 2000s. However, she is still credited with being among those artists having produced some of the highest-selling music singles in all of US history. In fact, by one count, she has been credited with having sold 27 million records across the world by 2008.
- Brandy Norwood. Brandy Norwood is the fourth-best young female black singer because her music focused more on wholesome love themes instead of the aggressive and lewd, oversexed forms of "love" that singers like Lady Gaga are so fond of perpetuating these days. Norwood got into a bit of a scandal in 2006 when she was involved in a car crash that killed another motorist, but she has since rebounded and is now featured on the latest season of "Dancing with the Stars".
- Corinne Bailey Rae. The last spot on this countdown goes to Corinne Bailey Rae because she's English! And because she can actually play her own guitar…fairly capably, too. Nominated for Grammy Awards for her work, Rae is clearly more popular overseas than in America; in the United Kingdom, for instance, she had her first album debut at the number one position.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …