Young female country singers seem to be making their mark in the business and we've compiled a list of five artists that continually put their best foot forward. It's not uncommon for country artists to start out at a young age. Loretta Lynn did so in her mid-twenties, while June Carter-Cash began performing with her family at age ten. Many young country artists of this day and age have looked up to women like these, hoping they too could one day sing on the stages of the Grand Ole Opry and perform for audiences all over the world.
- Carrie Underwood. Underwood grew up having a varied taste in music, but country was really her first love. She knew from a young age she wanted to be a singer and always said she'd try her best to make it into the business. While still in college, Carrie auditioned for "American Idol." Underwood made it through the auditions, earning a spot in Hollywood. During the course of "AI," Carrie went head to head with rocker Bo Bice and honestly thought she would be runner up. But to her surprise, Underwood won "American Idol" season four and went on to become a Grammy-winning artist in country music at age 23. It's stories like hers which let others know you can basically come from being an unknown to one day realizing your dreams can come true.
- Jennifer Nettles. Jennifer has been vocalizing since she was a small child, but whenever she heard music she liked, she became quiet and listened intently. By age two, Jennifer had already begun singing along with her favorite songs on the radio, continued singing with her grandmother and in musicals. Who knew this vocal little girl would one day become one of the poignant members of the Grammy-winning country music band called Sugarland at age 29? Jennifer's singing is not only award-winning, but so is her songwriting with Sugarland co-founder Kristian Bush.
- Miranda Lambert. A Texas native, Lambert loved country music from a young age. She saw Garth Brooks in concert at the tender age of ten and shortly after, Miranda entered her first talent competition. Throughout her youth Miranda entered a variety of competitions, showing off her vocal abilities and also learning how to play guitar. Her perpetual growth in music earned her an audition for the country music singing competition, "Nashville Star" in 2003. Although she didn't win, she did come in third and eventually signed with Sony Records. Since signing, three of Miranda's albums have debuted at number one on the Billboard Country charts. She is only the third female country artist in history to accomplish that. Lambert's other accomplishments include seven award wins from the Academy of Country Music, plus Grammy and CMT nominations.
- Taylor Swift. Swift is one of the youngest female country stars to have won multiple awards for singing and songwriting. Her first single debuted in 2006 when Swift was just sixteen. Since that time, she's been nominated for 106 awards and actually won a total of 70. What's interesting about this young female country artist is she does most of her own songwriting. You wouldn't think a young girl would be able to draw on experience to write so many influential songs, but she's passionate and her lyrics express her heartaches, life disappointments, false friendships and more. Something listeners can really relate to Swift is being true to yourself. She is an advocate about not changing who you are no matter what happens in your life.
- Kellie Pickler. Another "American Idol" contestant from the fifth season was Kellie Pickler. Kellie has a sweet way about her: all-American good looks and a proud small town girl. She charmed Simon Cowell on "American Idol" and even though her singing didn't always win him over, her personality and perseverance did. Kellie finished "American Idol" in the top six, earning her a recording contract with BNA Records–she was just twenty-years-old. Kellie has released two albums with her label, as well as received numerous nominations for various country music awards, winning five in all in the last three years.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…