Abandoned amusement parks are haunting sights; rusted rides, empty vending stations and eerie absences of life. They show the public how creepy and dangerous amusements parks can be when they are empty and rotting. Though abandoned amusement parks may look tacky and creepy, they can be beautiful and intriguing. Learn about abandoned amusement parks that have fallen into decrepitude.
- Six Flags, New Orleans. The Six Flags of New Orleans was in operation for three years, from 2002 to 2005, before it was forced to shut down. Hurricane Katrina destroyed almost 80 percent of the attractions and buildings. Nickelodeon wanted to turn the abandoned Six Flags into a water park, but it was deemed too expensive to renovate.
- Koga Family Land, Japan. The most famous of the abandoned amusement parks in Japan is the Koga Family Land. Neighboring golfers are blamed for the shut down of the amusement park. Koga Family Land and a nearby golf club had a shared entrance, so golfers lobbied for it to be destroyed. After twenty years of no visitors, Koga Family Land was officially shut down in 2008.
- Okpo Land, South Korea. The brightly colored Okpo Land was shut down after a child tragically died on one of the amusement park rides. After the accident, Okpo Land was forced to shut down. Bumper cars, ferris wheels, vending stands and more still line the walkways of the amusement park.
- Glen Echo Amusement Park, Maryland. This amusement park started as a liberal arts center in 1891, but developed into an amusement park in 1898. Glen Echo Amusement Park officially closed down in 1968. Dance and art classes are still hosted for the public in the bumper car area and the arcade building.
- Pripyat Amusement Park, Ukraine. The Pripyat Amusement Park, which was built in the city of Pripyat, was unfortunately never opened to the public. After it was open for days after April 27, 1986, the park closed due to the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. The haunting smiling faces on children rides, the Ferris wheel and other attractions still are rotting away 24 years later. Pripyat Amusement Park inspired source material for the game "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare."
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.