American Express Rewards Redemption
You have built up a nice point balance with your American Express reward program, and lucky for you, American Express rewards redemption is a snap. You don't even have to call the credit card; all you need to do is log onto the American Express website for instant gratification.
You will need:
- Log on to the American Express website.
- Click the "Use Points" tab in the green bar at the top of the page. A drop-down menu appears with an array of reward redemption categories – everything from hotel stays to electronics.
- Click the category for your desired American Express reward to view the options for reward redemption. The shopping page for each category looks like a regular shopping site, except here the "currency" is points instead of dollars.
- Scroll through the American Express reward offerings in your chosen category, paying close attention to the point "Cost" listed directly below each item.
- Click your desired reward to review the full American Express reward description and details.
- Click the "Restrictions" link, found above the "Add To Cart" button. A box opens noting any restrictions, such as expiration dates and substitutions in case an item is out of stock or the return policy.
- Click the "I Have Read the Restrictions" button. If you fail to click this button, you cannot add the item to your cart.
- Click "Add to Cart," which prompts you to log in to your American Express account to confirm your purchase. Note: If the site fails to add the item to your cart, double check that you clicked "I Have Read the Restrictions."
If the American Express website doesn't have the reward you want, check out the Shop Amex site for more reward redemption options.
Don't fret if your point balance fails to cover your desired reward. American Express can advance you the points through the "points advance" program. You will need to earn the points within twelve months to "pay back" the advance, or else American Express charges your card the going rate for purchasing points.