Who were your favorite American Music Awards 2009 performers? More than twenty music artists were invited to perform during the award ceremonies. Here are the ten most popular performers of the night.
- Shakira. Shakira looked gorgeous with her long blond hair and her little black dress. Although she wasn’t nominated for an American Music Award, she brought down the house with her performance of “Give It Up To Me” from her “She Wolf” album.
- Keith Urban. Following Shakira’s risqué performance, country musician Keith Urban sang his country rocker “Kiss A Girl.” Wearing a shiny western shirt, this popular crossover singer gave a clean performance that was strong, simple, and to-the-point.
- Kelly Clarkson. Kelly Clarkson, the nation’s first “American Idol,” was another popular AMA performer in 2009. She sang “Already Gone” from her 2009 album, “All I Ever Wanted.” She really got into the song and brought the viewers into it, too.
- The Black Eyed Peas. The Black Eyed Peas gave a showcase performance with two songs, “Meet Me Halfway” and “Boom Boom Pow.” Dramatic clothes, crazy wigs, and several pop-culture allusions gave viewers plenty of eye-and-ear candy.
- Rihanna. Rihanna gave AMA viewers snippets of two songs from her “Rated R” album, “Wait Your Turn” and “Hard.” Like The Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga (who didn’t make this “ten best” list), the sexy singer’s performance drew from today’s sci-fi pop mentality.
- Mary J. Blige. Mary J. Blige kept things old-school with her performance of “I Am,” a song from her “Stronger With Each Tear” album. Amidst all the on-stage drama by other performers, the R&B singer-songwriter kept things simple. And that was very effective.
- Jennifer Lopez. Jennifer Lopez, also known as J. Lo, marked her return to stage with her debut of “Louboutins.” The sexy actress-singer performed a dance-pop song that uses celebrity footwear as a metaphor for female empowerment. In an ironic and unfortunate moment, however, she took a spill on stage.
- Whitney Houston. Whitney Houston gave one of the best performances of the night. Her rendition of “I Didn’t Know My Own Strength” received a well-deserved standing ovation. It was a powerful, memorable moment at the 2009 American Music Awards.
- Alicia Keys. In her second performance of the night, Alicia Keys sang “Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart,” an R&B number from her “The Element Of Freedom” album. Her gold jacket gave the performance a vintage feel, and it rated much better than her first song, “Empire State Of Mind” with Jay-Z.
- Green Day. Green Day’s performance of “21 Guns” rounds up this list of ten best American Music Awards 2009 performers. The song is from their “21st Century Breakdown” album. The band’s AMA performance highlighted their theatrical, serious side.
Although some performances didn’t rate as high as the above artists, several musicians performed during the 2009 AMA ceremonies. They include Janet Jackson, Daughtry, Jay-Z, Carrie Underwood, Lady Gaga, Eminem and 50 Cent, Timbaland, SoShy, and Nelly Furtado, and Adam Lambert.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...